5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swap rear springs

Ccm12

Reaction score
Is it in easiest enough to swap out non-orp springs for orp springs? Or do other parts also need to be installed. Seems an easy way to get a slight higher back end. I am perplexed though as to why the rear orp springs are so cheap. $25 a pop. Seems really low

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interested in this as well ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Probably need the ORP shocks as well. Not sure if the extra inch will over extend the regular Ram shocks and damage them or just prematurely wear them out. The rest of the rear suspension is the same.

Ccm12

Reaction score
Probably need the ORP shocks as well. Not sure if the extra inch will over extend the regular Ram shocks and damage them or just prematurely wear them out. The rest of the rear suspension is the same.
Ok cool. Yea I got rear 5100 with 0-2” shocks sitting in garage

RedWhite&PatriotBlue

Reaction score
Ok cool. Yea I got rear 5100 with 0-2” shocks sitting in garage
Did you ever get this setup installed? I am looking at doing the exact same thing. Swap non-ORP with ORP springs and go with the longer Bilstein 5100s. Any feedback or notes would be appreciated!

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Waiting to hear as well … Before and after measurements ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ccm12

Reaction score
Did you ever get this setup installed? I am looking at doing the exact same thing. Swap non-ORP with ORP springs and go with the longer Bilstein 5100s. Any feedback or notes would be appreciated!
No not yet. Waiting to buy sway bar and icon rear coils so I can attack the back install all at once. Decided on icon for the extra inch over orp it gives.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No not yet. Waiting to buy sway bar and icon rear coils so I can attack the back install all at once. Decided on icon for the extra inch over orp it gives.
i thought the Icon spring nets half an inch over ORG/Rebel?

TLOC

Reaction score
Is it in easiest enough to swap out non-orp springs for orp springs? Or do other parts also need to be installed. Seems an easy way to get a slight higher back end. I am perplexed though as to why the rear orp springs are so cheap. $25 a pop. Seems really low
How can you tell this is the correct ORP spring, doesn't specify in your link???

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
You don’t “need” ORP shocks because the oem shocks will work with up to 2” lift (I have that currently and I think those 3.5” SST lifts use a 2” rear spacer with stock shocks too) but I will say that I’ve noticed my rear end hopping and I think it may be due to the shocks topping out. But I think 1” difference would have virtually no effect. Just my 2 cents :)

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
You don’t “need” ORP shocks because the oem shocks will work with up to 2” lift (I have that currently and I think those 3.5” SST lifts use a 2” rear spacer with stock shocks too) but I will say that I’ve noticed my rear end hopping and I think it may be due to the shocks topping out. But I think 1” difference would have virtually no effect. Just my 2 cents :)
Just because something will work doesn't mean it should be done. To each their own though. I'm sure the RAM engineers know more about these trucks than any of us.

I said "probably need". Never made that a definitive statement. Also, over extending a shock will do exactly what I stated. It's covered in almost all suspension geometry courses.

One of the main reasons the 3.5" lifts ride poorly is because they are maxing out both the front and rear suspensions.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Just because something will work doesn't mean it should be done. To each their own though. I'm sure the RAM engineers know more about these trucks than any of us.

I said "probably need". Never made that a definitive statement. Also, over extending a shock will do exactly what I stated. It's covered in almost all suspension geometry courses.

One of the main reasons the 3.5" lifts ride poorly is because they are maxing out both the front and rear suspensions.
I absolutely agree, I wasn’t arguing with you. I was just saying that it will work - even if you are sacrificing a little ride quality. To be honest I never noticed a difference in ride quality though but I have noticed the rear end hopping and I’m thinking maybe it’s due to the shocks. That’s why I ordered the BDS rear 3” lift that has new longer coils & shocks and all the relocation brackets to keep the rear axle centered. I just feel like 1” over stock probably will have virtually no effect on anything on just normal driving on roads. But who knows!

Users who are viewing this thread