5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swap LED Tech Package 3rd brake light for standard 3rd brake light?

deanno33

Reaction score
Hello. I currently have a 2022 Ram 1500 with the technology package. I recently picked up a used topper from a 2021 Ram but because the technology package third brake light sticks out too far, the topper won't slide far enough forward. Is it possible to replace the technology package third brake light with a standard flat third brake light? My thought was to keep them swapped while I'm using the topper. Then when I am not using the topper I could switch them back?

I guess I'm just not sure if the wiring harnesses behind the third brake light are the same or if it's going to create an issue or a code on my dash.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You will lose the digital mirror. I have my old one from when I swapped to the digital mirror. There are a lot of people who would love to have yours. So, you should be able to sell it.

Also, the wiring is the same.

deanno33

Reaction score
You will lose the digital mirror. I have my old one from when I swapped to the digital mirror. There are a lot of people who would love to have yours. So, you should be able to sell it.

Also, the wiring is the same.
Thank you. I was hoping to just swap out with part # 68298380AH when I use my topper....then, when I use my Bakflip, put the LED / Camera brake light back on. I just need the extra inch to push the topper closer to cab.

deanno33

Reaction score
Looks like 68298380 AH replaced part # 68298380 AG on Oct 3 of this year. Nobody has the AH in stock but a couple have the AG. Guessing that is still fine.

deanno33

Reaction score
Not sure this is going to work. The third brake light with the camera on my truck has two screws not four like the standard 3rd brake light. When I try to remove, it really doesn't want to come out. Like it's loose but stuck...and I don't want to damage anything by pulling too hard. Nothing is easy....

knightro84

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the third brake light with the camera "snaps" in a lot more than the standard third brake light (which uses 4 screws to secure it to the truck instead). I haven't taken mine off in a while but I remember it took a bit of force to get the clips to disengage.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are 2 snaps at the top. Use a flat head to push those in and then you'll have to pull hard on the bottom two. I've had this off a few times working on the digital mirror retrofit for 19/20.

deanno33

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I got it off and attached the standard third brake light I bought today. Made sure everything was clean and sealed good. The new one works as it should and no warning lights on dash.

The used topper I picked up today (Ranch Sierra Xtra) slid up closer to the cab and everything looks great. Ready for a road trip to Wyoming to chase a muley 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread