5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swap Halogen to Mid level LED

jayrue

Reaction score
Just purchased a big horn with the halogen lights and was wondering if it was possible to upgrade to the mid level LED head lights? Plug and play? Has anyone look into this....thanks in advance

kingkasc

Reaction score
From what I’ve been told you cant... have to wait for aftermarket ones to come out after sema

Tlaug01

Reaction score
You can not. If you find a set of mid level LEDs (not cheap), you will need a conversion wiring harness. I know retroshop in MO is already working on building a harness.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was a popular swap on the 14 and 15 GMC sierras to upgrade the halogens to 2016 Denali leds. If these rams are anything like the GMs all that was required were a couple connectors, some load resistors for turn signals to prevent hyper flash and a 3700 micro farad capacitor to smooth out the pwm signal for the halogens. I'm not sure if ram uses PWM or not, if not you wouldn't need the capacitor. Typically they run 12 volts to the headlight, internal to the headlight is where the voltage and current is regulated.

Take a pic of your main connector and count the number of wires. I'll look at mine and see if it matches. GM offered wiring details for upfitters, I'll see if I can find something similar from Ram for upfitters.

Tlaug01

Reaction score
I did find out that the the halogen to led tail lights are just plug and play, so that's a win. Not sure I'll changed the fogs to led, but hoping those are also plug and play if I do. Still waiting on harness for heads though.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I did some digging and unfortunately they haven't released much of anything yet for the new DT chassis as far as wiring diagrams go. A couple issues that are going to require work a rounds for sure. The LED head lamps have a separate day time running light circuit for the top and bottom DRL bars. It's unlikely the halogen lights are going to have this because the halogen headlamps use the main head light as their DRL. There is usually a way to work around this but often times this function is controlled by the BCM so getting them work like the factory lights would require some electrical trickery, not impossible. The second issue which was also an issue on the GM swap. The turn signal is also integrated into the lower DRL light, the way this functions is white LEDs shut off when the turn signal is activated and the amber LEDs are pulsed for turn signal function. GM did this in 2 different ways, on the sierra the BCM shut off the power to the DRL circuit and turned on power to the turn signal, on the silverado this function was handled at the headlight itself using a relay integrated into the head light itself. Depending on how ram design the LED headlights I'm not sure what method they used. Most guys with the sierra didn't care and the DRL just stayed on while the turn signal was flashing, others wanted them to function like factory but didn't think it was possible. I designed circuit to accomplish it, I didn't care I just wanted to see if I could figure it out and it was actually pretty easy to do. This is a clip of the truck with my first set that I built for a guy named Van, I gave him the schematics and hes been building them for other people on the GM-trucks forum.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did find out that the the halogen to led tail lights are just plug and play, so that's a win. Not sure I'll changed the fogs to led, but hoping those are also plug and play if I do. Still waiting on harness for heads though.
No problems with hyper flashing on the turn signal?

Tlaug01

Reaction score
No problems with hyper flashing on the turn signal?
Are you talking about on the tail lights? If so, they have been testing them for only a few days now but don't have any problems yet. They said the headlights are a bit more picky than the 4th gens, but will get a harness figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread