5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swap for 2014 3500 DRW?

Keep my 5th gen 1500 or get a 4th Gen 3500 DRW

• Get the 3500

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
So an opportunity has came up where I can swap my 2020 1500 5.7/ Quad cab 4x4/ ORG for a 2014 3500 DRW Laramie LongHorn 4x4. And I would save a lot of money. It's a 50k Mile 2014, but looks clean for the most part, needs minor stuff but nothing I Can't handle. The truck has been sitting for 2 years and will definitely a service and stuff, but regardless this was a loaded truck. First thing first, my 2020 hit 1k miles yesterday, it's a 47k MSRP, and I paid about 36k after shipping and tax's, Probably at 40k now with all the mods I've done, PPF, vinyl wrapped bumpers, AUX fuel tank, bullbar, lightbar, Bed liner, Side steps etc. From what I'm seeing I can probably get close to what I paid for it back, Anyone have any comments on that? is the market that strong? And now to the 3500, Do I need it? no not really, Max I will tow is a 32ft travel trailer and my 1500 can do that, and tow my 2 humvees. I like that my truck has some good off road capability, but is a 4x4 dually any good off-road? I know its a lot bigger, but is capable? Can I retrofit carplay on a 14? Is it worth going for a 6 year older truck to a crew cab, a lot more towing (30k) pounds, nice leather, heated/ vent seats, projector lights etc, and save around $25K? but go to a 6 year old truck, no warranty, 4th gen, etc? does the 6.7 cummins have issues? or just stick with my 1500 that I eventually want to do a overland build on but will probably wait till after my warranty is up, I've yet to drive the 3500 as it needs 2 batteries, should drive next day or two, but for those who have driven them, how do they drive? I know this post is all over the place but I am really conflicted and want some outside opinion. Thank you all in Advance. IMG_0424.png
My 2020 1500 ORG

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.18.25 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.18.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.18.43 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.19.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.19.03 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.19.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.19.20 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.19.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.19.39 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.19.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.19.57 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

Bassinb

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the photos but that truck is probably worth 5-8k more than yours. Based on that alone, I would swap and resell it if you don't need it. Then buy what you want and pocket the cash or upgrade.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I will preface this by saying you haven't really said what you use your truck for.
I say to keep the 1500. This is assuming you will be keeping which ever truck you decide on. You haven't demonstrated a need for a 3500 (or even a 2500 for that matter), so assuming you will be using this as a commuter you'll quickly hate using an HD for that. Especially if you'll be driving in traffic or tight parking situations. Plus, you've done quite a few things to make the 1500 your own. So I voted to keep the Big Horn.

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the photos but that truck is probably worth 5-8k more than yours. Based on that alone, I would swap and resell it if you don't need it. Then buy what you want and pocket the cash or upgrade.
so here is the kicker, and I won't go to in depth. I won't be able to resell the truck, due to some title issues, once it's mine, its mine, I'll be able to register and insure it, but basically worth nothing on resale besides parts, so it's one of those drive it into the ground type deals.

Bassinb

Reaction score
so here is the kicker, and I won't go to in depth. I won't be able to resell the truck, due to some title issues, once it's mine, its mine, I'll be able to register and insure it, but basically worth nothing on resale besides parts, so it's one of those drive it into the ground type deals.

That is a pretty strange scenario. If that is in fact the case, then it is a no brainer. Trading for that 3500 and never being able to get a dime for it would be the absolute worst financial decision I can think of. Do not do that.

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
I will preface this by saying you haven't really said what you use your truck for.
I say to keep the 1500. This is assuming you will be keeping which ever truck you decide on. You haven't demonstrated a need for a 3500 (or even a 2500 for that matter), so assuming you will be using this as a commuter you'll quickly hate using an HD for that. Especially if you'll be driving in traffic or tight parking situations. Plus, you've done quite a few things to make the 1500 your own. So I voted to keep the Big Horn.
So it's a DD/ WT, When the weather is crappy or I am tired, I use the truck instead of hopping in the sports car. I also have 2 jetski's to tow, possibly going to get a center console, 30ish FT, and my Humvee's which I use for series off roading. I also do take the truck on some small trails, nothing crazy or rock crawling, but I got ORG for a reason. I live in south florida, parking isn't an issue. But I definitely will be driving in a lot of traffic. My dad is also building a new house 2.5 hours away and when I am not using it, I give it to him to haul crap. So its kinda mixed bag. I doubt ill exceed the 11,410 tow limit of this truck, but who knows what the future holds, does the HD drive that much worse?

flyfingers

Reaction score
I've owned 2 Chevy duallys - one was an 8.1 gasser and the other was the Duramax. I can tell you that they are the most stable tow vehicle and the long wheel base makes for a super nice ride on the open road. Even with the stiff leaf springs they had, it was still a very forgiving ride especially when towing or with an overhead camper in the bed. I believe the '14 Ram 3500 DRW is leaf also. I'll tell you where driving around in a truck with hips gets old real quick and that is in almost any parking lot type situation or city type driving; it's just plain miserable.
My son just picked up a '16 Ram 2500 with the Cummins and as far as the power delivery goes in that truck all I can say is WOW. It's effortless power and is simply incredible. If you are looking for a the ultimate tow vehicle, a DRW with the Cummins is second to none for sure as it will be stable and powerful beyond anything the 1500 can do.
I read whereas if you trade this thing it's yours for life? That's super weird and between that and the around town / parking lot driving issues, I'm out. If it were me in your shoes, I'd keep the 2020 as it's simply more practical for everyday life. Just my .02

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope DD “ing a dually sucks, and with the title situation and it sitting for so long that screams bad idea to me. Unless you needed it for the payload I would skip even though I would skip anyways with the title problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What you said about the title would be more concerning to me than anything else. I'd avoid any vehicle with a questionable title.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A 3500 DRW is a monster. They are all longbeds and 8 ft wide. Have you ever tried to park one? "normal" parking spots are super tight and forget anywhere congested like a strip mall or walmart unless you are parking in the next county over. Also If you ever need to make a U turn, you need a small country, even if you whip the *** around with traction control off.
The 3500's also have a rock hard suspension for DD use. They don't settle and feel nice until you have them fairly loaded down.
If you can take title, you should be able to transfer it. Especially with Florida. Florida it is super easy to acquire a title to a vehicle. DMV will tell you the address of the last owner, you send them a notice and if it gets returned to sender, the title and truck are yours. Don't open the letter and just take it to the DMV.
You can also do a bonded title in FL if it has been titled in FL before. Bonds cost about $100 no matter how much for ( such as a $40,000 bond ). You apply for title with the bond and get a bonded title after 3 years if it's not contested you can apply for a clear normal title.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread