5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swap 2021 Limited Night Edition 22 Inch Wheels to Get the Ability To Safely Air Down

Phish Head

Reaction score
I need some advice on a replacement wheel and tire for a 2021 Ram 1500 Night Edition Limited with 22” wheels and air suspension.

I want to get 18” inch Ram wheels but I am not sure they would clear the brakes etc. The reason I want to do this is that I need to be able to air down to go on a beach. The stock 22” wheel and tire combination would be sketchy at best as the tires would probably break bead if I went down to 18 pounds. At the very least the wheels would get chewed up.

I would like suggestions for tires that are the same diameter (32.1 in) as stock and do not rub anywhere. I would like tires with a strong sidewall as I will also be towing a travel trailer at times.

Has anyone used Ram 18” wheels on this truck? Like these or similar:

https://www.detroitwheelandtire.com...nt-2669-gloss-black-hol-2669-bbb-gloss-a.html

Do you have a suggestion for a different wheel? I will be swapping these in when I need them for beach or towing. Function is much more important than form so the stock appearing wheels are fine and they appear to be cheaper than aftermarket type. The tires need a good strong sidewall and be functional on the beach when the need arises but mostly it is a daily driver.

Have at it and thanks in advance!

APmech

Reaction score
Yes, I use a set of 18 inch wheels from a 2019 Big Horn for winter use on my Limited w/Black Appearance Pkg. There are guys running Rebel takeoffs that work fine, (18 inch with 33s). There are several aftermarket 18 inch wheels that will not work and that's why I went with buying a set of used 18 inch Ram wheels.

Last edited:

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
Yes, I use a set of 18 inch wheels from a 2019 Big Horn for winter use on my Limited Night Ed. There are guys running Rebel takeoffs that work fine, (18 inch with 33s). There are several aftermarket 18 inch wheels that will not work and that's why I went with buying a set of used 18 inch Ram wheels.
I don't suppose you would want to rent me your winter wheels/tires for a week in late August for my trip down to the OBX beaches? I did fine there last year with my 22's, but the sand was pretty firm and tires were newer. I am in southern NH.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Following. I will likely use this forum to pick up an 18-20" take off set of wheels from someone else, ideally black for my Winter set. I don't need tires, just wheels that I can wrap in snow-flake tires for our long winters that run October - May.

APmech

Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine with Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires, oem size. I might sell them if I sell my house this summer. Where I'm going I probably won't be needing them anymore.
b9bce57d9de7f47b969022b344c2bb89.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FormerTitanFan

Reaction score
Following. I will likely use this forum to pick up an 18-20" take off set of wheels from someone else, ideally black for my Winter set. I don't need tires, just wheels that I can wrap in snow-flake tires for our long winters that run October - May.
I picked up a set of Rebel take-offs with TPMS for only $200 in perfect condition. Keep checking Facebook Marketplace & Craigslist. There are obviously people who have too much money and not enough garage space buying Rams 😂

lucasb780

Reaction score
I need some advice on a replacement wheel and tire for a 2021 Ram 1500 Night Edition Limited with 22” wheels and air suspension.

I want to get 18” inch Ram wheels but I am not sure they would clear the brakes etc. The reason I want to do this is that I need to be able to air down to go on a beach. The stock 22” wheel and tire combination would be sketchy at best as the tires would probably break bead if I went down to 18 pounds. At the very least the wheels would get chewed up.

I would like suggestions for tires that are the same diameter (32.1 in) as stock and do not rub anywhere. I would like tires with a strong sidewall as I will also be towing a travel trailer at times.

Has anyone used Ram 18” wheels on this truck? Like these or similar:

https://www.detroitwheelandtire.com...nt-2669-gloss-black-hol-2669-bbb-gloss-a.html

Do you have a suggestion for a different wheel? I will be swapping these in when I need them for beach or towing. Function is much more important than form so the stock appearing wheels are fine and they appear to be cheaper than aftermarket type. The tires need a good strong sidewall and be functional on the beach when the need arises but mostly it is a daily driver.

Have at it and thanks in advance!
I have 22" on my Laramie with stock tires. I run a bonfire business on the beach and drive on/off maybe 30 times a week. Our sand is super soft and I regularly air down to 20 psi. It does great in the soft stuff when aired down but the tread already looks chewed. Looking for a replacement but the 22" don't NEED to be replaced. Nitto 305 Ridge Grapplers are the move.

riveralg79

Reaction score
Did you want to sell your 22” Night Edition wheels?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread