5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

suspension mods with aftermarket bumpers

Jedi9

Reaction score
Hi, been lurking for awhile soaking up all this good knowledge. From the Jeep world but have never lifted IFS so am learning. Considered the Rancho 3" suspension lift because I have the 9000 shocks on my Jeep and my ride is great. From my Jeep I've learned that picking quality components can keep or exceed factory rides. Ended up grabbing a set of Bilstein 5100s and the Rancho UCAs. Anyhow sorry for the long entro. I have not seen any discussions with aftermarket bumpers with lifts. I have a RC rear bumper with a RC high clearance front bumper with skid on the way. How much difference would the added weight affect the lift? My rake with the aftermarket rear bumper stands around 1 1/2", measured 36 1/2 to top of fender opening to ground on front and 38 at rear, did not check it with the stock bumper so I may have lost some. I want to run 295s and have installed some aftermarket 20 x 9 rims with 0 offset. Rancho says to not run their UCAs with less than 2" off lift. I tow a light boat and a small 5x9 work trailer and plan on installing tuftruck or Bilsteins rear progressive springs. I can actually get the Bilsteins cheaper but don't know if they will sag more than the tuftrucks under load. I don't care much for squat. Thanks in advance for any tidbits of advice you may have. should I be looking at longer links all the way around to keep the swaybars level? Rear track bar mount?

Jedi9

Reaction score
I found Discount Tire willing to price match some Atturo Trail Blade XT 295/60R20s at a great price. The plan now would be to install the Bilsteins, check the level, and then install the Bilstein springs if I need 1" at the back or the Tufftruck springs if I want 1 1/2". Be nice if the bumper comes in so I can check the level with bumper installed, should be here mid Feb.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tuftruk would be the way to go for towing, or you could install Airlift airbags for when you are towing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, been lurking for awhile soaking up all this good knowledge. From the Jeep world but have never lifted IFS so am learning. Considered the Rancho 3" suspension lift because I have the 9000 shocks on my Jeep and my ride is great. From my Jeep I've learned that picking quality components can keep or exceed factory rides. Ended up grabbing a set of Bilstein 5100s and the Rancho UCAs. Anyhow sorry for the long entro. I have not seen any discussions with aftermarket bumpers with lifts. I have a RC rear bumper with a RC high clearance front bumper with skid on the way. How much difference would the added weight affect the lift? My rake with the aftermarket rear bumper stands around 1 1/2", measured 36 1/2 to top of fender opening to ground on front and 38 at rear, did not check it with the stock bumper so I may have lost some. I want to run 295s and have installed some aftermarket 20 x 9 rims with 0 offset. Rancho says to not run their UCAs with less than 2" off lift. I tow a light boat and a small 5x9 work trailer and plan on installing tuftruck or Bilsteins rear progressive springs. I can actually get the Bilsteins cheaper but don't know if they will sag more than the tuftrucks under load. I don't care much for squat. Thanks in advance for any tidbits of advice you may have. should I be looking at longer links all the way around to keep the swaybars level? Rear track bar mount?
Fwiw, when I installed my front bumper, I had to move my 5100s from clip 5 to clip 6 to maintain the "level" due to extra weight of the bumper PXL_20231026_231521596.jpg

Jedi9

Reaction score
Thanks, Aftermarket bumpers, winches definitely make a difference in Jeep world, I'm sure the spring rates are higher on the Ram and for sure carrying more stock weight. I only want to set the struts up once but if I over/under shoot I'm glad there is some adjustability, just have to go back in there. I saw where some tuftruk buyers had some noise so I went to the website and they recommend isolators for the 5th gen. Looks like the Bilsteins come with spring covers/ isolators

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Bilstein coils being dual-rate will sag more than a single rate until it hits the higher rate. The dual-rate will give a better ride though when not towing.

Jedi9

Reaction score
tuftruk has good reviews, towing and not, they are variable rate

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I looked and wasn't sure. People used them with the 4th Gen.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Bilstein madness!! My level kit only came with one install pack so I need a spring seat, apparently none in country, have to buy another strut to get my install kit. Truck currently on jackstands waiting for the other strut install so I can't wait the 39 days for the kits to get back in stock.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why you always make sure everything is there before starting a job. Especially in this case. Hopefully you can find one.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Yup, I let the box sit a couple weeks before checking everything, figured I'd do one side and get a kit sent out to me no problem. You can find plenty of struts without kits on ebay right now

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
f2749bfe0945691e54c040c97a97a0c1.jpg

Might be your lucky day.. I kept the 5100 in storage that I stripped the shaft on when I did my install and ended up overnighting a replacement. I’ll pull the spring perch off and send it to you. Send me a message with your address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online