5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspension Help

Truckguy

Reaction score
Hey guys i know this has been covered in multiple threads and there are numerous posts, and I have read most of these but could still use some help from those of you that have different setups. If you read my intro post this is my first vehicle in 17-18 years. Drove the hell out of my old truck until it was limping me to work, basically. So initially I wanted to level my RAM, but I have read conflicting threads about wheel and tire setups and I can't figure out who has spacers with what springs or added rear spacer with the 5100's up front. Its just alot of information to comb through and figure out what I need. So first off my truck is not ORP/ORG therefore I don't have the added 1" in the springs. Initially I wanted to put 5100's in the front and a possible spacer in the back to level with a very minimal rake, but then i learned of rear towing air bags. But now I'm wondering if I should go the route of ORG springs with 5100's. Guys i'm questioning myself so much I can't even go forward with anything. I have the OEM power running boards and since this is a daily driver i need it easily accessible for placing a car seat and my wife to get in and out and she's short ( 5'2). So any input would be greatly appreciated. If there is anything you wish you had done differently that would help also. Thanks

Scjon03

Reaction score
So if you want the Bilstein 5100 shocks there are different settings you can put the shock at. For the non ORG trucks setting #1 is stock, #2 -0.5", #3 0.9", #4 1.3", #5 1.7", #6 2.2", and #7 2.6". If you want it level do setting #6 or #7. To get a little more rake in the rear you can get a Motofab 1" spacer or the Supreme Suspensions - 2" Rear Leveling Kit. There are others but these are the ones I looked into.

Yes you can get the ORG front springs and rear springs and do the same thing but the Bilstein shocks you can't use setting #6 or #7. I mean you can but the instructions says do not use. Most likely due to the UCA angles.

For me I had a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the ORG. I did the Bilstein Front shocks at setting #5 which for the ORG its a 2" front lift and did a 1" Motofab rear spacer. For the UCA and a piece of mind I put in the Readylift UCA's. The truck looked great, had a 1" ish rake and ride great. A little bit firmer ride from stock. I also installed rear Rebel shocks and Airlift 5000+ airbags. So I can keep it level if hauling loads. I also had AMP running boards installed and it wasn't bad to step in. My wife who is 5'4" ish was able to climb in fine I guess.

I did all the install myself and if you are not comfortable doing the install just take it in and pay someone. The amount of cursing I did made the neighbors concerned.

However I traded the truck in for a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited because I wanted all the fully loaded features and took advantage of the special financing.

You can see the truck here for pictures. The dealer posted the truck for sale. (if the link doesn't work that means they sold it)

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
If you only want to level your RAM then you can't go wrong with the Bilstein's. I just did my non ORP crew cab at setting 5 and got 2" of lift, leaving a 1/2" of rake and the ride did not suffer at all. I am putting P275/60R20 Goodyear Trail Runners on it Monday. I did not go bigger because I did want a LT rated tire because of the harsher/stiffer ride they provide, and from all of the photos i could find I like the look of that size tire.
As for the ORP springs unless you want a true 3" of lift, which is what Bilstein states you get at setting 5, which as was stated above is the max for the ORP, there my opinion is no need for them.

Attachments

• Truck Leveled.jpg
    Truck Leveled.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 68

jayden_parent

Reaction score
Asking because this is the first I’m hearing of these 5100 shocks. Do they come stock on these trucks or are they an aftermarket purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truckguy

Reaction score
So if you want the Bilstein 5100 shocks there are different settings you can put the shock at. For the non ORG trucks setting #1 is stock, #2 -0.5", #3 0.9", #4 1.3", #5 1.7", #6 2.2", and #7 2.6". If you want it level do setting #6 or #7. To get a little more rake in the rear you can get a Motofab 1" spacer or the Supreme Suspensions - 2" Rear Leveling Kit. There are others but these are the ones I looked into.

Yes you can get the ORG front springs and rear springs and do the same thing but the Bilstein shocks you can't use setting #6 or #7. I mean you can but the instructions says do not use. Most likely due to the UCA angles.

For me I had a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the ORG. I did the Bilstein Front shocks at setting #5 which for the ORG its a 2" front lift and did a 1" Motofab rear spacer. For the UCA and a piece of mind I put in the Readylift UCA's. The truck looked great, had a 1" ish rake and ride great. A little bit firmer ride from stock. I also installed rear Rebel shocks and Airlift 5000+ airbags. So I can keep it level if hauling loads. I also had AMP running boards installed and it wasn't bad to step in. My wife who is 5'4" ish was able to climb in fine I guess.

I did all the install myself and if you are not comfortable doing the install just take it in and pay someone. The amount of cursing I did made the neighbors concerned.

However I traded the truck in for a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited because I wanted all the fully loaded features and took advantage of the special financing.

You can see the truck here for pictures. The dealer posted the truck for sale. (if the link doesn't work that means they sold it)

So at setting #5 with the ORG you got 2in lift on top of the 1in from factory? I looked at the tru0k in the link and that’s the look I would prefer.

Truckguy

Reaction score

Just read chrisdp23’s reply and he answered that last question. Do you remember what size tire you went with with that setup?

MarkB67

Reaction score
Hey guys i know this has been covered in multiple threads and there are numerous posts, and I have read most of these but could still use some help from those of you that have different setups. If you read my intro post this is my first vehicle in 17-18 years. Drove the hell out of my old truck until it was limping me to work, basically. So initially I wanted to level my RAM, but I have read conflicting threads about wheel and tire setups and I can't figure out who has spacers with what springs or added rear spacer with the 5100's up front. Its just alot of information to comb through and figure out what I need. So first off my truck is not ORP/ORG therefore I don't have the added 1" in the springs. Initially I wanted to put 5100's in the front and a possible spacer in the back to level with a very minimal rake, but then i learned of rear towing air bags. But now I'm wondering if I should go the route of ORG springs with 5100's. Guys i'm questioning myself so much I can't even go forward with anything. I have the OEM power running boards and since this is a daily driver i need it easily accessible for placing a car seat and my wife to get in and out and she's short ( 5'2). So any input would be greatly appreciated. If there is anything you wish you had done differently that would help also. Thanks
What size tires do you want to run ?

Users who are viewing this thread