5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspension difference

Ericw

Reaction score
Are the struts and springs the same on a bighorn vs limited? Both trucks 1500 4x4

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Air suspension is standard on Limited*, and optional on Big Horn. So that makes the answer “maybe”: yes if the Big Horn has air suspension, no if it does not.

* Apparently, in Canada, you can get a Limited with coil springs, but in the U.S., air suspension is standard on Limited.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would suspect so, as the Limited likely has the air suspension, but that alone certainly does not make them different. Go to a Mopar parts seller website and plug both trucks in and see which part numbers come up for each part. This will at least give you a high percentage answer...

Goldsy

Reaction score
Air suspension is standard on Limited*, and optional on Big Horn. So that makes the answer “maybe”: yes if the Big Horn has air suspension, no if it does not.

* Apparently, in Canada, you can get a Limited with coil springs, but in the U.S., air suspension is standard on Limited.
Air suspension is standard on the limited in Canada as well (I have one). There is an air suspension delete option on the build page, I assume it’s the same fir USA models, but not 100% sure.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Air suspension is standard on the limited in Canada as well (I have one). There is an air suspension delete option on the build page, I assume it’s the same fir USA models, but not 100% sure.
There’s no delete option in the U.S. At least, not on the Ram web site. Maybe dealers have that option, but I don’t think so.

Ericw

Reaction score
Ok didn’t know that air was standard, how about spring for spring on a Laramie?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is only 2 suspension options on the Ram 1500 , Air Ride or Coil Springs . As for shocks the off road package has different shocks than the standard and the Rebel has different shocks .

Ericw

Reaction score
So a larmine and big horn have the same struts and springs , the reason I ask my son in law truck rides do much better only difference is I have leveling pucks

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So a larmine and big horn have the same struts and springs , the reason I ask my son in law truck rides do much better only difference is I have leveling pucks
I have a ReadyLift leveling kit on my Laramie and the difference in ride from stock is virtually imperceptible. The ride is a little firmer, but in a good way.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on if you used spacers that go above the strut (top hat) or spring compression spacers. The top hat will ride better. It also depends on if one of you has ORP springs as I've heard they're a bit more stiff than non-ORP. Easiest way to tell is if either truck has skid plates then it has the ORP assuming each of you bought your trucks new.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Easiest way to tell is if either truck has skid plates then it has the ORP assuming each of you bought your trucks new.
Was that the only way to get the skid plates on a Laramie or Big Horn? My Limited has the Protection Group, which added skid plates. No ORG.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Many different variables that can come into play that would effect the ride. It's not always a straight across comparison. If you don't have the same wheels and tires, it will make a difference. As mentioned, if one has the off road group and one doesn't, it will be different. If they both weigh different do to more or less options it can effect ride. Different air pressure in tires will make a difference.

jv56

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a set of ram 1500 oem struts and shocks off a new ram DT 4x4 that was doing a lift.
I have a 19 Dt 4x4 with a v6 and now that im looking to swap struts and shocks mopar is showing that the v8 parts wont fit on my v6?

Is this true?

thanks !!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a set of ram 1500 oem struts and shocks off a new ram DT 4x4 that was doing a lift.
I have a 19 Dt 4x4 with a v6 and now that im looking to swap struts and shocks mopar is showing that the v8 parts wont fit on my v6?

Is this true?

thanks !!
They will fit, but your front end may sit a little higher, but count that as a front level.

jv56

Reaction score
They will fit, but your front end may sit a little higher, but count that as a front level.
Thank you so much... I bought the motofab 2'' front leveling kit. Should I add it?

I'm also putting on 22'' laramie wheels with 285/55r22 toyo at3's

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online