5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surround View Camera

1ramrunner

Reaction score
I am looking for experience and opinions on the surround view camera option. If you are familiar, do you like it? I'm not sure what value it adds, hoping someone with experience will share.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am looking for experience and opinions on the surround view camera option. If you are familiar, do you like it? I'm not sure what value it adds, hoping someone with experience will share.
For me it is a must. Parking in my garage (and other tight spaces) is pretty limited and it would be a lot more difficult w/o having this. Could I park without it? Of course, but the 360 view makes it so much easier.

I‘ve had this on the last few vehicles I’ve owned, and would not purchase one without it. Plus, it allows you to park perfectly straight in any parking spot, every time ;) So a plus for us OCD-types.

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Limited Longhorn yesterday. The Surround View Camera is definitely without a doubt a very cool option. Very cool. If there's a black car next to be when reversing into a parking spot and bushes. It will show that. But...the image won't be a vivid actual image. It will be realistic and clear, but not 4k actual rendition. Hope that helps. Tomorrow, when backing into my spot at work, I'll take a photo and post it. I could do without the that option to be honest, but it came with the truck. Personally, all I need is the camera on the tailgate and sensors on the bumper.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Limited Longhorn yesterday. The Surround View Camera is definitely without a doubt a very cool option. Very cool. If there's a black car next to be when reversing into a parking spot and bushes. It will show that. But...the image won't be a vivid actual image. It will be realistic and clear, but not 4k actual rendition. Hope that helps. Tomorrow, when backing into my spot at work, I'll take a photo and post it. I could do without the that option to be honest, but it came with the truck. Personally, all I need is the camera on the tailgate and sensors on the bumper.
Welcome to the forum.

JWnclub11

Reaction score
I have it on my 2021 Limited Longhorn and I was probably more excited about it before getting it than actually having it. I rely more on the back up camera than the surround view camera. As another member said it’s not in 4K but good resolution. There are situations where I could see it would be very useful but I’m not sure it’s the must have feature for me I thought it was before having it.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Very nice to have, I use back up cam/mirrors more often even though it’s always there. Went through a tight drive they last night and used it to make sure I didn’t hit my rims. Always good to make sure your in the lines when parking. I forget what else comes in that package but it’s worth it.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram has a not so tight turning radius, making it sometimes difficult to park (read: Walmart). I find the 360 cameras to be really helpful and use them all the time. Like one of the responders mentioned above, once you're parked, you can confirm how straight/centered you are in the parking space. I think it's well worth the extra money.

slatersan

Reaction score
When searching for my truck, inventory that had the ASG was limited. I considered opting for a non-ASG equipped truck because of that.

After sticking to my guns and traveling to get the truck I wanted vs. settling for one that was close, I can honestly say that I would be dissapointed if I didnt have the 360 camera. As others have said, I could do without it, but the practicality of using the 360 view when trying to park/back up/see whats going on around the vehicle in real time is just too much of a benefit to do without if you don't have to. That and the ACC with the ASG is the ****.

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
Ram has a not so tight turning radius, making it sometimes difficult to park (read: Walmart). I find the 360 cameras to be really helpful and use them all the time. Like one of the responders mentioned above, once you're parked, you can confirm how straight/centered you are in the parking space. I think it's well worth the extra money.
This time around I got a crew cab with the 6'4" box. The turning radius is quite a bit more than my last Ram with the shorter box. The surround camera had come in handy in some of the very tight drive thrus in my area

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Awood05

Reaction score
For me it is a must. Parking in my garage (and other tight spaces) is pretty limited and it would be a lot more difficult w/o having this. Could I park without it? Of course, but the 360 view makes it so much easier.

I‘ve had this on the last few vehicles I’ve owned, and would not purchase one without it. Plus, it allows you to park perfectly straight in any parking spot, every time ;) So a plus for us OCD-types.
What he said. ^^^

Makes parking SO much easier.

50Front

Reaction score
I like it and use it but i don't understand why they made the image so small. I have the 12" screen and the surround view image is maybe a quarter of the screen. It would be much more useful if the image was larger.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I like it and use it but i don't understand why they made the image so small. I have the 12" screen and the surround view image is maybe a quarter of the screen. It would be much more useful if the image was larger.
Yep. It’s a pet peeve of many of us around here. Would love to see this in full screen or at least larger.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One tight drive-thru (bank or restaurant) and you'll be sold. It's also great when you want to ensure you're exactly centered in a parking space or cozied up to a protective curb.

Awood05

Reaction score
Agreed. I will say though that RAM isn’t the only one that does it. The Explorer ST I had with the 10” Portrait screen was the same way. All that screen and the images are tiny, relatively speaking.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Some drive thrus can be tricky to navigate. This system is a huge help
Yep, it will save your rims for sure, specially the front ones where you can’t use mirrors to gauge distance to curbs.

BillyCrash

Reaction score
It's one of the few options I don't have on my Rebel that I wish I had. I have it on my second vehicle and had it on the vehicle I traded in on the Rebel. Once you get used to it, it's a must-have option.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It's one of the few options I don't have on my Rebel that I wish I had. I have it on my second vehicle and had it on the vehicle I traded in on the Rebel. Once you get used to it, it's a must-have option.
Yep.

Reaction score
I have it on my 2021 Limited Longhorn and I was probably more excited about it before getting it than actually having it. I rely more on the back up camera than the surround view camera. As another member said it’s not in 4K but good resolution. There are situations where I could see it would be very useful but I’m not sure it’s the must have feature for me I thought it was before having it.

Attachments

• 20201230_191826.jpg
    20201230_191826.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201230_062819.jpg
    20201230_062819.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 54

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I‘ve had this on the last two vehicles I’ve owned and it's become must have for me now.

Users who are viewing this thread