5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surging/lurching forward when stopping

Reaction score
Aight y'all.. kinda of a long post so bear with me.

2019 ram 1500 Lonestar 2wd. 47,7xx miles

So I noticed a few weeks ago when slowing down over 60+ mph I would feel a shudder when braking and at times when coming to a complete stop under 20 mph it would surge forward and I needed to really get on the brakes.

Replaced all rotors and pads with the z17 power stop kit (slight OEM upgrade maybe) and no more shudder at any speed but....

Now I am really seeing the lurching/surging forward damn near daily in the morning the first time I drive. At first I thought it was the rear brakes grabbing and letting go but had a shop look over it and all looked good. Paying attention to it lately I have seen the rpms shoot up and back down like the transmission is hunting gears and causing the engine to rev up. It isn't a high amount of rpms but enough to see the needle move. After it does it it's usually all good until the next morning but I am still leary of it happening again.

I have an appointment to drop it at the dealer since it's still under the power train warranty (have extended as well) but for now I've got the negative battery cable unhooked to see if I can get it to relearn how to stop.

Has anyone else experienced this or found a TSB that points to this issue? Taken it to dealer and had it resolved? Honestly looking for anything helpful to get it fixed. Only have a year left til I own and in no way want to keep it with this issue and kiddos in backseat.

GMetal

Reaction score
Is it the downshift surge when going from 4th to 3rd or 2nd to 1st?

Reaction score
Is it the downshift surge when going from 4th to 3rd or 2nd to 1st?
Honestly I don't know which gear it's in when this is happening. In the area it happens the speed limit is 40 so slowing down from there.

I have seen some TSBs talking about 4 to 3, 3 to 2 which I figured it was referring to gears.

Left the battery unhooked for about an hour and just went on a test drive. Wish I could say it was better I won't know til tomorrow morning.

Reaction score
Went on a test drive this morning just as I normally do during the week and the surging did not happen.

I've been out a few times and from what I can tell it feels like you would expect it to. Hard to believe that leaving the battery unhooked for an hour corrected the issue. Will see how it is over the next cpl of days.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine 2020 BH does it sometimes when I'm leaving my community and stopping at the gate when she's still cold. No issues when warm. It does it from 2nd to 1st when I'm about to come to a complete stop. I get a buck. Not a scary one but it happens about 50% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread