5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suntek Carbon Window Tint

JRD

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this film? The local 3M guy seems to be so busy he can’t answer a phone.

I was hoping to get a ceramic film as it gets pretty damn hot in SC, but they don’t seem to offer it.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this film? The local 3M guy seems to be so busy he can’t answer a phone.

I was hoping to get a ceramic film as it gets pretty damn hot in SC, but they don’t seem to offer it.
Never heard of it. I'm in SC too in Conway there's a place called the car doctor there real good. Not sure where in SC you are though.

JRD

Reaction score
Never heard of it. I'm in SC too in Conway there's a place called the car doctor there real good. Not sure where in SC you are though.
I’m all the way up in Greenville -_-

I called another shop and they offer Suntek too, there only seems to be one 3M place and the guy is awful to deal with

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the Suntek Ceramic tint on my Rebel and am very happy with it. It seems that Suntek in used more in Canada even though it is made in the US, we don't have any local dealers that do 3M here, I would have to drive over 250 miles to find one.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I called another shop and they offer Suntek too, there only seems to be one 3M place and the guy is awful to deal with
If you don’t mind a bit of a drive try going to Charlotte, it should open up a lot more options for film and installers.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
I have SunTek on my Ram Limited. Much more cost effective tint that 3M in my opinion and does a good job of rejecting heat.

One thing I did not do was tint the Panoroof. Installer said it was possible the heat rejection from the tint could cause the sunroof to crack or shatter...not sure whether this is something to do more with older sunroofs or if he was correct. I would like to go back and do the sunroof, but am weary after his warning.

JRD

Reaction score
I have SunTek on my Ram Limited. Much more cost effective tint that 3M in my opinion and does a good job of rejecting heat.

One thing I did not do was tint the Panoroof. Installer said it was possible the heat rejection from the tint could cause the sunroof to crack or shatter...not sure whether this is something to do more with older sunroofs or if he was correct. I would like to go back and do the sunroof, but am weary after his warning.
Never thought of that, but will how big the sunroof is there has to be a ton of heat coming through. Especially because the cover is so thin

Ty93

Reaction score

I get all my tint done at Rogers Stereo in Greenville. They do SunTek film. Talk with John and he will hook you up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JRD

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I asked my installer about this and he said it isn't an issue. People tint windshields with no problems, I don't see how a sunroof would be any different.

I had suntek carbon installed on my girlfriends Cherokee. Only had it a few weeks but so far so good.

Jims380da

Reaction score
I have been a shop owner/installer for over 30 years. I install SunTek exclusively. Great film made in the US and great company behind it. You can't go wrong.

JRD

Reaction score
I have been a shop owner/installer for over 30 years. I install SunTek exclusively. Great film made in the US and great company behind it. You can't go wrong.
Are there dramatic differences between carbon and ceramic? If not, I’ll save myself money and just do the carbon

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Are there dramatic differences between carbon and ceramic? If not, I’ll save myself money and just do the carbon
Yes, there are huge differences between the two when it comes to heat rejection. The ceramic films reject up to 90% (may be a little higher or lower depending on film) of heat. I believe that carbon films only reject about 20-30%. It is definitely a huge difference and something I will spend the extra money on for all my vehicles.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
I asked my installer about this and he said it isn't an issue. People tint windshields with no problems, I don't see how a sunroof would be any different.

I had suntek carbon installed on my girlfriends Cherokee. Only had it a few weeks but so far so good.

From what my installer said the sunroof is a single pane style of glass which is not the same as the extremely thick windshield and side glass...this may be incorrect and I would love to know if it is in fact incorrect. I would be there this weekend to tint the pano if that was the case as I love having it open, but hate it open during these hot hot hot Houston summer days.

Jims380da

Reaction score
Yes, there are huge differences between the two when it comes to heat rejection. The ceramic films reject up to 90% (may be a little higher or lower depending on film) of heat. I believe that carbon films only reject about 20-30%. It is definitely a huge difference and something I will spend the extra money on for all my vehicles.

Id agree with your comment if the entire truck was tinted with ceramic. You are still getting heat gain from the back windows without film on them. 2 windows tinted with ceramic will not cut heat gain 60% in the truck. Just 60% of the heat coming through 2 windows.

Jims380da

Reaction score

If doing it for mostly looks, security and UV protection, I’d go carbon on 2 front windows. If looking for max heat rejection, then ceramic film... but do all the windows in the truck

JRD

Reaction score
If doing it for mostly looks, security and UV protection, I’d go carbon on 2 front windows. If looking for max heat rejection, then ceramic film... but do all the windows in the truck

I guess I’ll be forking up the extra money to go full ceramic. It gets pretty hot in South Carolina so heat rejection would be a nice plus.

would also like to know about the pano roof. Maybe I’d keep it open more if the sun wasn’t so brutal with it open

JRD

Reaction score
I get all my tint done at Rogers Stereo in Greenville. They do SunTek film. Talk with John and he will hook you up!

Just got off the phone with them, they offer ceramic at a decent price. I’m thinking I’ll end up going there after my bed liner is done Thursday

Ty93

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with them, they offer ceramic at a decent price. I’m thinking I’ll end up going there after my bed liner is done Thursday

Awesome man! I’m taking my truck up there today to get mine done.

JRD

Reaction score
Awesome man! I’m taking my truck up there today to get mine done.

What % are you getting? I want to get 5% but forgot to ask if they offer it. I just had a place tell me they won’t do 5%

Ty93

Reaction score
What % are you getting? I want to get 5% but forgot to ask if they offer it. I just had a place tell me they won’t do 5%

I got 5% on the front 2 and a strip on the windshield. I got 18% on the back 2 and the back glass bc it had the factory tint on already. So the truck looks like all 5%.

Users who are viewing this thread