5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sun shades

aussie_ram

Reaction score
I've spent too long searching these forums, as well as reddit and other Ram forums without a definitive answer. I came close to pulling the trigger on a Covercraft UVS100 which comes up quite alot, before I found out that the fitment sucks ... there are spots on each side of the windshield, and around the sensor that let in way too much sun for a $70 sun shade.

So as we come into the hotter months, particularly here in the Southwest ... can everyone give me suggestions on what sun shade they use? I don't care ultimately what the price is, but if its going to be $50+, it will want to be a very good fit and not let any light in.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've tried a couple expensive folding sun shades, and have been very disappointed. By the end of the summer they both ended up collapsing under their own weight and wouldn't stay in place behind the visors. So I ended up buying one of those springy collapsible ones from Amazon for less than $15 for my last truck. I kept it when I traded that truck in and am using it in my new truck now. I'm very happy with it. I'd avoid the expensive ones myself. They no longer offer the one I bought, but there are many variations of this style available.

aussie_ram

Reaction score
Just as a follow up on this thread, I ended up purchasing 2 different shades on Amazon to test. The ToughPro shade I linked was far and above the other one I ordered, link below. It fits the 2022 windshield perfectly (so I assume it'd be an identical fit for any 5th Gen), around the big 10" sensor and only lets in a very small amount of light around the edges. For the price, it is a very good fit, and definitely keeps the cabin cooler. It does not fold up, but rolls up which some find as an issue. However, I stuck a small piece of velcro on the strap and it attaches to the carpet underneath the rear seats, so it is out of the way when not in use but easy to access. Not sponsored or anything else, just thought I'd post it here as I struggled to find any solid advice from searches before buying.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just as a follow up on this thread, I ended up purchasing 2 different shades on Amazon to test. The ToughPro shade I linked was far and above the other one I ordered, link below. It fits the 2022 windshield perfectly (so I assume it'd be an identical fit for any 5th Gen), around the big 10" sensor and only lets in a very small amount of light around the edges. For the price, it is a very good fit, and definitely keeps the cabin cooler. It does not fold up, but rolls up which some find as an issue. However, I stuck a small piece of velcro on the strap and it attaches to the carpet underneath the rear seats, so it is out of the way when not in use but easy to access. Not sponsored or anything else, just thought I'd post it here as I struggled to find any solid advice from searches before buying.

That's similar to one of the expensive shades I tried that collapsed (sagged) over time, but less than half the price of the one I bought. Hopefully yours doesn't have the same issue as the one I had.

morris08

Reaction score
In the past I have purchased a Heatshield visor for an SUV and a car and they both fit great, used them for 7+ years.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on another Heathshield, this time for my new '22 Ram. There was a significate gap under the mirror/sensor.
I emailed Heatshield and they are currently working on making a new shield (free of course) with the measurements I provided.

I did select the "without Advanced Safety Group Package", so I wonder why my sensor doesn't match the Heatshield cutout.

aussie_ram

Reaction score
In the past I have purchased a Heatshield visor for an SUV and a car and they both fit great, used them for 7+ years.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on another Heathshield, this time for my new '22 Ram. There was a significate gap under the mirror/sensor.
I emailed Heatshield and they are currently working on making a new shield (free of course) with the measurements I provided.

I did select the "without Advanced Safety Group Package", so I wonder why my sensor doesn't match the Heatshield cutout.

This was the problem I was seeing from reviews of most sunshades, in particular the Heatshield and the Covercraft. For $70-80, I would expect it to be custom fit and very snug but the reviews just didn't back up the price hence why I decided to buy a couple different ones off Amazon and return the ones I didn't like. Ultimately for $35 the ToughPro one is perfect well priced.

morris08

Reaction score
Heatshield is making it right though, they just emailed me and said they are making a new one for me and sending on Monday.
Hopefully it fits.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I had the same issue when I ordered my Heat Shield. Here's the email I sent to their customer service department after talking with Jorge in shipping:

I ordered a Heatshield for my 2021 Ram 1500. The choices for my truck were "with" or "without Advanced Safety Group". My truck does not have the Advanced Safety Group option, so I bought the Heatshield that was for a truck without the Advanced Safety Group. When I received my Heatshield, the cutout did not fit the bezel around my mirror.

I called Heatshield and spoke with Jorge. He informed me that I needed the Heatshield that fits the Ram 1500 with Advanced Safety Group, even though my truck does not have that option. He stated that the automatic windshield wipers was part of the Advanced Safety Group, but that is not correct.

Now, because the information on your website is incorrect for the 2021 Ram 1500, I had to return the incorrect Heatshield at my cost in order to get the correct product shipped back to me.

This was not my mistake, therefore Heatshield should have paid for return shipping.

Based on your post, it appears they haven't fixed their website. A picture of both housings or a measurement would clear up the confusion. That said, I have purchased HeatShield visors for the last 3 trucks I've owned and they are very good products. They fit very well and will stay in the windshield without lowering the sun visors, although I do drop mine down just to be sure. The one I had in my 2008 Tundra was was still in perfect shape when I sold my truck last year.

morris08

Reaction score
Heatshield (Ivan Uranga) told me I did not have to return my original one. He told me to use it until the new one arrives and then toss it.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Heatshield (Ivan Uranga) told me I did not have to return my original one. He told me to use it until the new one arrives and then toss it.
That's great. I guess I got the wrong guy on the phone.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been using the Covercraft for over three years now in the Ram (and for almost 20 years in various vehicles). I disagree that the fitment is poor, even if it’s not perfect. It’s as wide as it can be while still squeezing rigid panels between the grab handles. It looks like new after years of use. And it even stores nicely just under the passenger rear seat on top of the folding storage panels…just barely reachable from the driver’s seat.

fliptide

Reaction score
Heatshield for me. If you have the 10" sensor get the advance safety group model. A little cumbersome to deal with but a good fit. I wanted accordion style but after trying 2 with poor results went with heatshield. Pic of heatshield and husky (made by cover craft) also tried the pigenius with same poor fit).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220520-105647_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-105647_Chrome.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_20220520-105731_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-105731_Gallery.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 103

Sandalya

Reaction score
I understand you about the Covercraft UVS100 installation, it's frustrating when you spend money on something that doesn't fit. But don't worry, there is a solution! Have you checked out the magnetic, UV-protective, and car-specific sunshades? I'm a big fan of snapshades.com, as they have a wide variety of custom-made sun visors to fit tightly into your car. Also, the magnetic design means you don't have to mess around with awkward straps or cords, making them easy to put on and take off when needed. It might be worth checking out if you're looking for a top-notch, snug fit.

Last edited:

Pertzbro

Reaction score
If i was in Vegas I'd be tinting my windsheild with a 50,60,70,80% (depending on what you're comfortable with) nano-ceramic tint to cut the heat. Some of them will cut 50+% of the heat transfered through the glass. Sure... if it's 120° outside and the truck is parked in the sun all day - the inside of your truck will still be hott, but the surfaces wont be as hot. they all block 99% of the UV rays even on the clearest stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread