5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sumo springs

Gren71

Reaction score
just like a handful of folks i wanted to try the sumo springs on this truck. i had them on my gladiator and loved them. I took them off before i sold the JT.

The sumo kit for the ram is….different… it uses two metal plates to sandwich the amount around the bump stop cup. I put them on last night and noticed once I lowered the truck. The bops were in contact with the axle with all of the 25 pound bag in the bed of the truck. While driving today, the truck felt like it was on leaf springs It was so rigid in the rear. I wasn’t a fan of the ride, so I came home and took them off.

After reading more about the ram, I found out that it and the gladiator share a lot of the same suspension components. So I grabbed the sumo. I took off of the gladiator and pushed them into the bump stop cups of the ram. They fit perfectly, and have what looks like the correct amount of space between the stop and the axle!

Needless to say i was skeptical…no way its this easy…well the test drive showed me it seems to be! My plush stock suspension ride is back! And the bumps dont engage with regular road bumps and chatter. They hit a little when i backed into the driveway…but thats fine IMO.

Tomorrows ride in to work will tell but im hesitantly optimistic that these will work. Theyll engage when i have a load in the bed. They are smaller in diameter than the ones that came with the ram kit…but im thinking (and hoping) that because theyre the black ones theyll handle a load pretty good. Im not expecting a miracle, but i am anticipating an improvement.

First picture is the sumo in the ram kit. The other two are the jeep sized sumo and how my hand fits between it and the axle with the truck sitting on its own suspension.

IMG_2776.jpeg
IMG_2778.png
IMG_2779.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting sumo and seeing if maybe they sent the wrong kit for the Ram?

Gren71

Reaction score
Have you tried contacting sumo and seeing if maybe they sent the wrong kit for the Ram?
Not yet. I got the kit on Friday a d they wont be open again until Tuesday the 2nd. So its a waiting game. Judging by what ive read others have had the same experience where the ram kit’s sumos touch the axle w/o the spacer attached.

Users who are viewing this thread