5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sumo Springs on 2019 Ram 1500 4X4

trainman

Reaction score
So I did a Search and nothing came up on Sumo Springs, so what your thought on them. I want to add them to my 2019 Ram 1500 so I can tow a travel trailer with a tongue weight of 460 lbs. and a trailer weight of 4800 lbs. dry weight. Now I realize that weight will go up when trailer is loaded and will put me over the Ram recommended weight of 500 tongue weight and a WDH is needed. All I'm wanting to do is correct a 2" sag so the truck will set level and not go the WDH way, which I feel is not needed for such a small difference. The local hitch dealer says this is the way to go and they install them all the time for ranchers and farmers to haul loads that are over the factory limits. They recommend the 1500 lbs. springs for my Ram, they also said don't go the air bag route as the springs never need replacing for leaking, etc. and they cost a lot more. Let me know what you think.

trainman

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
I can't say how the Sumo springs are I put a set of Timbren SES instead based on users here giving them positive reviews. They were super easy to install.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I had timbrens on my 2014, and I put them on my 2019. I do love the difference they make.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you are making a good choice. Air bags are nice but a complex system, springs needed nothing. Just don’t keep adding more weight and you’ll be fine. Now go to an rv forum and just wait for the weight police to chime in...

Viper67

Reaction score
All large trucks run air bags. You can get cheap, but good firestone bags for about 300$. I went with air lift and a wireless set up. Just like in my 3500 Dually I had before this 1500. Not complicated at all. Took about 6 hours but I’m not an electrician or a mechanic. My 3500 had them for 6.5 years. A solenoid went out. Replaced it under warranty. No issues. And that truck wasn’t a road queen. I have pictures of it in 4’ of water in Hurricane Harvey doing high water rescues. Yes the cai wasn’t stock. I’ve had the air lift bags in my 1500 for two days so far and like it. When I have my trailer attached you won’t know your not in a caddy. Smooth ride. You won’t feel a single bump on the trailers dual axles and minimal on the trucks rear axle.

Users who are viewing this thread