5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suitable Tailgate Pad to Secure Mountain Bikes for RAM1500 with RAM BOXES

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
I purchased a Race Face for my new RAM - I haven't used it yet but I'm bummed you guys are saying scratches are unavoidable with these. I don't want scratches.

I was tired of getting my giant 4 bike metal hitch mounted one out of the garage every ride.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a Race Face for my new RAM - I haven't used it yet but I'm bummed you guys are saying scratches are unavoidable with these. I don't want scratches.

I was tired of getting my giant 4 bike metal hitch mounted one out of the garage every ride.
During the summer I usually just leave the bike racks on till I need to pull a trailer with the truck or we road trip with the car.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just toss a blanket over the tailgate with a piece of thick cardboard over the blanket. Not a single scratch yet. No, it's not a "sexy" solution, but it works perfectly fine.

TRX with bikes.jpg

JohnGow383

Reaction score

I've ordered mine. I'll let you know how it goes and will be interested to see if it will work with the Ram boxes.

Maleton3

Reaction score
I just went through this exact problem so thought I'd chime in. I have Ram Boxes and MFT which make the tailgate much thicker and curved so finding a quality bike pad that would protect the bikes, the tailgate and could be made to work was tough. I ended up ordering the Yakima Gatekeeper (Link) because it is super high quality and has fantastic downtube protection for the bikes.

When it arrived there were 2 issues to overcome. 1. The 1st and 6th downtube protectors on the bike pad were hitting the rails on my tonneau cover stopping the tailgate from closing. and 2. The retaining pin / latch holes on each side for the tailgate were covered by the bike pad.

Solved the 1st problem by taking a Seam Ripper and taking off the 1st and 6th down tube protectors since I only have space for 4 bikes with the ram boxes they would've been useless anyways. Solved the 2nd problem by taking some cutting pliers and making a notch for the pin holes on each side so the tailgate could latch properly.

Works perfectly and I am super pleased with the Yakima Gatekeeper. Best bike pad I've ever owned. Pretty much any bike pad with the Ram Boxes or MFT will require some modification, but it's just the nature of having all of that stuff. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just went through this exact problem so thought I'd chime in. I have Ram Boxes and MFT which make the tailgate much thicker and curved so finding a quality bike pad that would protect the bikes, the tailgate and could be made to work was tough. I ended up ordering the Yakima Gatekeeper (Link) because it is super high quality and has fantastic downtube protection for the bikes.

When it arrived there were 2 issues to overcome. 1. The 1st and 6th downtube protectors on the bike pad were hitting the rails on my tonneau cover stopping the tailgate from closing. and 2. The retaining pin / latch holes on each side for the tailgate were covered by the bike pad.

Solved the 1st problem by taking a Seam Ripper and taking off the 1st and 6th down tube protectors since I only have space for 4 bikes with the ram boxes they would've been useless anyways. Solved the 2nd problem by taking some cutting pliers and making a notch for the pin holes on each side so the tailgate could latch properly.

Works perfectly and I am super pleased with the Yakima Gatekeeper. Best bike pad I've ever owned. Pretty much any bike pad with the Ram Boxes or MFT will require some modification, but it's just the nature of having all of that stuff. Hope that helps!

The standard tailgate and MFT are the same thickness and shape.

JohnGow383

Reaction score

Thanks.
Well the Race Face arrived yesterday but I sent it back without trying in order for me to get RMA. The problem I saw with mine was the rails of the electric powertrax tonnue cover sit flush with the tailgate and protrude a good ¾" past the tailgate. Literally no space, so I don't even think I could get thin fabric under it. Maybe I should have tried. But I've resided in the fact this won't work so have ordered the half stack version which restricts me to only 2 bikes but at least I know I can move it along the tailgate so it's not interfering with anything. Effectively, when I measured the available width I only have 44" which is narrower than the mid size truck one.
However, I would be keen to see some pics of your set up if you don't mind.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I just throw my HUFFY in the bed and let her rip. Just kidding, I'm fat and lazy. My bikes have engines to propel me lol

Maleton3

Reaction score
Thanks.
Well the Race Face arrived yesterday but I sent it back without trying in order for me to get RMA. The problem I saw with mine was the rails of the electric powertrax tonnue cover sit flush with the tailgate and protrude a good ¾" past the tailgate. Literally no space, so I don't even think I could get thin fabric under it. Maybe I should have tried. But I've resided in the fact this won't work so have ordered the half stack version which restricts me to only 2 bikes but at least I know I can move it along the tailgate so it's not interfering with anything. Effectively, when I measured the available width I only have 44" which is narrower than the mid size truck one.
However, I would be keen to see some pics of your set up if you don't mind.
IMG_1731.jpeg IMG_1732.jpeg IMG_1733.jpeg
Here ya go! That’s what it looks like with the pad. In yellow I highlighted where I used the seam ripper to take off the 1st and 6th down tube protector, and in red is where I cut notches for the tailgate to latch. The rails for my tonneau cover are also basically flush with the tailgate and this works so I hope that helps!

Last edited:

JohnGow383

Reaction score
View attachment 159808 View attachment 159809 View attachment 159810
Here ya go! That’s what it looks like with the pad. In yellow I highlighted where I used the seam ripper to take off the 1st and 6th down tube protector, and in red is where I cut notches for the tailgate to latch. The rails for my tonneau cover are also basically flush with the tailgate and this works so I hope that helps!
Thanks.
I ended up going for the half stack Raceface cover. Downside is it will only take 2 bikes and it covers the backing up camera but it just fits. It's kinda on the limits due to the extremely deep tailgate top and curve shape. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20230607_164518.jpg
    20230607_164518.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230607_164530.jpg
    20230607_164530.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230607_164539.jpg
    20230607_164539.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230607_164545.jpg
    20230607_164545.jpg