5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suitable Tailgate Pad to Secure Mountain Bikes for RAM1500 with RAM BOXES

JohnGow383

Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping for some people that have bikes on here?

I'm reaching out for some advice and experiences you might have had with using tailgate pads for securing mountain bikes on a 5th Gen RAM 1500 with RAM Boxes.

Due to the RAM Boxes, the width of the truck bed is effectively reduced, which is making it a bit tricky to choose a tailgate pad. I'm torn between opting for a full-size pad, which may not fit properly, and a mid-size/smaller pad, which would probably fit better but would likely leave some of the tailgate exposed. Also, the rounded shape of the tailgate adds extra complication too.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation? If you've used a tailgate pad with your RAM 1500 with RAM Boxes, I'd really appreciate your input. Specifically, I'm curious:

• Did you opt for a smaller/mid-size or a full-size tailgate pad?
  • Which brands/models have you tried and what were your experiences with them?
I've been looking into a few options such as the Dakine Pickup Pad DLX, the Race Face Tailgate Pad, Thule GateMate Pro, and Fox Racing Shox Small Tailgate Cover. If anyone has experience with these brands, or others, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you in advance for any insights and advice you can provide!

Here is generic pic from YouTube to give you an idea what I'm talking about. 1684622667291.png

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can't help you with a pad for your tailgate, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with a solution. I'm not a fan of tailgate pads because it's virtually impossible to avoid damage to your tailgate and/or bike. There are a number of truck bed bike racks that are a better solution, IMO. A lot of guys don't care about scratches/dents from carrying bikes with tailgate blankets and if you are one of them, ignore my post. 🤣

JohnGow383

Reaction score
I can't help you with a pad for your tailgate, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with a solution. I'm not a fan of tailgate pads because it's virtually impossible to avoid damage to your tailgate and/or bike. There are a number of truck bed bike racks that are a better solution, IMO. A lot of guys don't care about scratches/dents from carrying bikes with tailgate blankets and if you are one of them, ignore my post. 🤣
Well as my truck is only a few months old, and the bikes are high end, I kinda do 😂 However, I do read mix reports that others have not had anissue with them and they are quick and easy to install / remove.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well as my truck is only a few months old, and the bikes are high end, I kinda do 😂 However, I do read mix reports that others have not had anissue with them and they are quick and easy to install / remove.

They are quick and easy to remove. I have a few MTB buddies and I cringe when I see the scratches on their tailgates and bumpers, because it's preventable. I'm a dirt bike rider, so when I see this, it makes sense to me. :cool:

Truck bed bike rack.jpg

Sanders

Reaction score
My full size tailgate pad fits perfect with the ram boxes. There is a little gap between the boxes and the tail gate that keeps the pad in place perfectly. I don’t even put the pad straps around the tailgate.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
My full size tailgate pad fits perfect with the ram boxes. There is a little gap between the boxes and the tail gate that keeps the pad in place perfectly. I don’t even put the pad straps around the tailgate.
What type have you got? I'm edging towards the Race Face T2 tailgate pads. I believe the outer most pads on the inside interfere with the closure of the tailgate but with a bit of work and slamming it will shut.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
They are quick and easy to remove. I have a few MTB buddies and I cringe when I see the scratches on their tailgates and bumpers, because it's preventable. I'm a dirt bike rider, so when I see this, it makes sense to me. :cool:

View attachment 159179
I also have the power retrax tonnue cover so I'm losing around 8inches which would interfere with the bikes if in that position I think

kzielu

Reaction score
Hitch receiver mounted rack for the wi (1 up USA equip-D in my case). It is so much more convenient and safer than tailgate pads.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was about to buy a pad for my standard tailgate when I talked to a couple local guys that use them. Hadn't thought it through, but decided to just keep using my Kuat hitch rack.

I have a 60lb eMTB. No way I want to throw that over my tailgate after a hard ride, or before really, and yes, they all seem to scratch or scuff to some degree, especially if you're in dusty areas...

If it's just me, and I'm taking the carbon road bike, I just wrap a blanket around it and lay it in the bed.

Insanity

Reaction score
That's a bummer man hope you find something that works for you. I know when I put a taunno on it might not work. So I figured I might fashion up some brackets that I can bolt into the existing holes in the bed. That's future insanity's problem.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have rambox as well. I don't have any issues just throwing my mountain bike into the bed of the truck. Fits just fine in there. If I'm driving longer than 15 mins to a place, I just throw a quick strap over it.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

JohnGow383

Reaction score
That's a bummer man hope you find something that works for you. I know when I put a taunno on it might not work. So I figured I might fashion up some brackets that I can bolt into the existing holes in the bed. That's future insanity's problem.
Yeah the ram boxes, the electric tonnau and short bed all make it very tricky. Not to mention the curved shape of the tailgate also adds to the complications of using a tailgate pad.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
I have rambox as well. I don't have any issues just throwing my mountain bike into the bed of the truck. Fits just fine in there. If I'm driving longer than 15 mins to a place, I just throw a quick strap over it.

yeah I have two S Works bikes which I'd not be comfortable having them scratch each other tbh...but yeah I used to do that with one bike.

Insanity

Reaction score
Dood S works that's some cash I'm not all that comfortable laying down my specialized rock hopper let alone a bike or 2 that are that expensive.

Is there a location to mount a bracket in the bed to use a cross bar like I have?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn't realize those bikes are $10-15k bikes.

I would get a bike rack in my bed like this one....and a ramp to ride it up on

Advantage SportsRack BedRack Truck 4 Bike Rack with 10 ft Cable Lock https://a.co/d/gonF2bJ

JohnGow383

Reaction score
Didn't realize those bikes are $10-15k bikes.

I would get a bike rack in my bed like this one....and a ramp to ride it up on

Advantage SportsRack BedRack Truck 4 Bike Rack with 10 ft Cable Lock https://a.co/d/gonF2bJ

Thanks. However, the problem I have is I have the power retrax tonnue cover which means I loose a good 8inches of overall bed length. So even with the front wheel off, I don't believe there's enough overall length for one of these bike racks.
Yeah one bike is a 2014 S Works Camber (now discontinued) and the other is a 2022 S Works Stumpy. These bikes never go out my sight lol.

Users who are viewing this thread