5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions on a Rebel order

Luftmaler

Reaction score
I’ve been scanning this site a bit while researching my next purchase. I will be trading in my 13 big horn. Looking to order a new rebel 12. I would greatly appreciate any advice from folks who have done a similar order recently on the rebel. Reading the threads here has steered me away from the etorque option. I’m thinking of sticking with the straight hemi. Been holding out for the new multi-function tailgate so I can load it easier with a forklift. Staying away from the sunroof tow package and air suspension to make room in the budget for leather which is only available in 12 package. Also don’t need those high cost failures after warranty is up. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

kjn86

Reaction score
You are on the right track so far. Save the cash on the sunroof maybe and air suspension for sure. Definitely 100% no tow package under any circumstances. It's asinine. Also definitely do not get the bed utility group and/or the factory tonneau cover (far better aftermarket options with more strength and security).

I would, however, get the eTorque again if I ordered a new one today. I would also get the factor spray bedliner (easier than doing it aftermarket) and the lane assist (worth the safety upgrade).

I am not sold on the 12-in screen because I feel like I would rather have the physical buttons for some things, but I really think it's sharp. If I had it on my truck, I readily admit I would like it probably and keep it. Multi-function tailgate is nice and very cool. I understand you have to get the Rambox with it and I am not 100% sold on that although (like the 12-in screen), if I actually had it, I may like it.

Test drive and physically check out every option. I see you are doing your research and asking questions, which is great. You will probably be very happy with minor regret in the decisions you make!

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely go with Rebel 12, just much nicer inside overall. You’re on the right track passing on Air-Ride (especially if you want to level or lift it at all) and passing on Sunroof. I had a Pano roof on my 2016 F150 that I “had to have” since I was coming from a Wrangler, and I used it maybe 10 times in 3 years.

I have the eTorque and would 100% not get it again. Mileage is 16mpg 50/50 Highway and City so far with 2500 miles on it. Plus the Stop/Start and Regenerative Braking are annoying.

Good Luck!!

19 REBEL RAM

Reaction score
I’ve been scanning this site a bit while researching my next purchase. I will be trading in my 13 big horn. Looking to order a new rebel 12. I would greatly appreciate any advice from folks who have done a similar order recently on the rebel. Reading the threads here has steered me away from the etorque option. I’m thinking of sticking with the straight hemi. Been holding out for the new multi-function tailgate so I can load it easier with a forklift. Staying away from the sunroof tow package and air suspension to make room in the budget for leather which is only available in 12 package. Also don’t need those high cost failures after warranty is up. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
I ordered mine with no etorc , even tho my mileage at present city 11 -12.5 with 1750 miles is dismal I still would not want the etorc , hoping for better mileage for highway ,with these kind of fuel numbers the 33 gallon gas tank is mandatory and I it should be standard but it is not , make sure you get the 33 gallon tank, I do not have the air suspension and I find the ride incredibly smooth , although not a big fan of sunroofs I orderd mine with the panoramic sunroof and I love the look inside the cabin and the ability to open up the view , especially when out in the trails or in the city . the 12 package for me was a no brainer , all black leather seats and the 12inch monitor , mine also has the tow package with the wide mirrors and trailer brake , if you get this configuration you will not be able to retract your mirrors automatically , I also opted for the factory spray in bed liner , my running boards are after market Nfab nerf bars , im currently looking for an after market bed cover , color I got was billet silver with black lower , nice contrast with the black hood grills , good luck with you order ...!!!

Last edited:

Lize

Reaction score
I was disappointed to see the announcement of the split tailgate after I'd ordered mine and thought I'd have really liked to have had that option. However having seen more pictures and the bed step I'm not now quite as sure its as great as I originally thought. If using tailgate in traditional manner with bed extender then the step would be no good. I've decided I've only had normal tailgates and I'm quite happy with those but will think about it for my next vehicle depending on price. I don't have a forklift and wouldn't trust someone else with one near my truck, so that doesn't come into my decision.

Pictures here:

I'm not a huge sun roof lover so saved cash on that. I decided the e-torque would not give me significant savings on fuel costs and was also anxious of future highly expensive repairs so also didn't opt for it. I put my savings into the air suspension, but I wanted that :)

Think you have a sensible approach.

Last edited:

Pressgrove

Reaction score
Two things I would add that are not that expensive..... rear wheel well liners and a trailer brake control.

I know you aren't interested in the tow package (I assume because of the mirrors), but the brake control is only about $300. If you're the kind of person that's worried about forklift access to the bed, I'd say the odds are high that you will want to tow a trailer at some point.

The two options together are <$500.

Luftmaler

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied for your insight into these issues. I finally placed my order today to get it in before I lose trade in value on my 13 bighorn when the 2020s hit the dealerships. Went with 12 package to get the leather, spray in bed liner asI figured a factory job would be cleaner. I found out a few things that might be interesting for others looking to order: on the ram website build and price link I got message that the tubular sides steps and bed step cant be ordered with the 12 package. This is not true as it went through at the dealer today as such. I passed on the new split tailgate as, when I contacted FCA, they told me it is not yet available and when it is it needs to be packaged with the bed utility package which is a deal breaker for me as the bed rails would tear my bed tent, add extra cost for an option I don’t want and also interfere with the clamps on my tonneau cover. Plus I’d probably end up smashing them while tossing heavy logs in the bed. Due to the delayed release of the new tailgate I wonder if they’re not done testing it and I’m looking for reliability. Passed on the etorque as well. At 3$ per gallon, and a “rated” 2 mpg gain in fuel economy, the warranty will long be expired before I recover the $1295 upgrade from the std hemi. I hear a lot of people are having problems with them too.

Users who are viewing this thread