5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sudden Unexplained Braking in Drive

Airbearmd

Reaction score
I have a 2019 RAM Limited with less than 25K miles. While I have experienced the hard braking backing up and have made adjustments that remedied that, the other day while moving in traffic during a heavy rain storm the truck inexplicably flashed a red screen warning BRAKE and slammed on my brakes almost causing the person in back of me to hit the truck. It continued to do it for another mile until I could pull over and turning the truck off and then back on seemingly clearing the issue. Never had this occur before.

Damn Scary!! Has anyone else had an issue similar to this.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There have been a few threads similar to this. I would think you have a collision avoidance sensor? You know the nanny that has to be in vehicles these days because everyone is too busy playing on thier cell phones or messing with Jr. in the back seat to bother paying attention to driving and operating the vehicle.

I think the heavy sheets of rain mess with the sensor and it thinks you are ready to hit something. Turn off the switch in a heavy rain and see if you have the problem.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is exactly what was happening. You'll experience that with heavy snow too. Turn off brake assist in heavy rain/snow and you'll be fine. No need to stop and/or restart the truck.

What's happening is the sensor sends out a beam (IIRC audio frequency outside human perception similar to police radar, but it could be light or some other signal). The signal is reflected back to the sensor and it determines if you're closing too quickly on an object ahead of you. If that happens it brakes to avoid a collision. If the rain, fog or snow is too dense the signal is reflected off that causing the sensor to detect an "object" even though there isn't really anything there.
There's nothing wrong with the truck or sensor. It's just a false alarm, resulting from a machine trying to do the human's job for them. You'll hear this complaint with every make and model there is. Some are more susceptible to it, but none are immune.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The camera/radar in the windshield was confused by the huge amount of rain and triggered the FCW. It happens sometimes. You could have turned it off in Uconnect until after the rain storm. Sorry, I don't have any rude comments about it like others.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who was rude? Did I miss one, was it deleted, was it at least funny?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Who was rude? Did I miss one, was it deleted, was it at least funny?
No, it's just whenever people talk about these systems, there are those who don't like them so they make rude or unnecessary comments about them. Or even goes as far as to put others down for using them. It just gets old after awhile.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Here I thought I may have missed a good zinger.
And yes, the negative comments wear after a while. It's like the guy/gal that always replies with something about using the search function any time someone asks a question about parts/mods.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yes. It can be almost as tiresome as the negative comments whining about negative comments. Crazy how a public forum works with people of differing opinions, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread