5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Success! Low-Cost Subwoofer Experiment

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the box installed. One thing to note is that there is no longer a lip on the box over the top of the adjustable partition as shown on the supercrew website. Doesn't make a difference I think and looks easier to build. The box just sits in there and I keep two black towels next to it - it's not going anywhere unless you offroad like the Dukes. Also, the lighting is off a bit due to the flash, but this is the no extra charge gray carpet on the box in my black truck.
20230415_072803.jpg

And here's a blurry, one cup of coffee shot where you can still see the clearance between the woofer and the seat bottom. They advise using a speaker grille but I'm going to pass. There is also clearance for the under seat bag holder hook so I've left it there.
20230415_072911.jpg

Scion

Reaction score
Great data points. Thanks! This solution is definitely top on my list, and still give me the option to add my amp if I want.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did some driving today and while two 1 Ohm resistors is very clean sound from the sub, it's just a tad too low in the new box. So I pulled it and bypassed both resistors. It took no time at all to decide that didn't work. It's back to over-boosted bass (with EQ Bass at 0). I'm aiming at a nice balance where FM isn't obnoxious to listen to and streaming thumps where it should.

So for now I'm only running one 1 Ohm resistor before the filter on the plus side. It's good so I'm going to leave it this way for a while but I may try adding in a .5 Ohm at some point. It's kind of hit or miss trying to balance the sub output using resistors but that's all I know to do using the factory amp.

Here's what the inside of the box looks like with the parts mounted. I used double sided foam tape behind them and standoffs on the red low pass filter. I then tossed in all the poly fill stuffing I previously had in the factory sub.
20230415_125825.jpg

It really does sound so much better than stock. Keeping the Bass and Mid at 0 on the EQ let's me hear all that mid-bass and the sub I've been missing for so long.

Scion

Reaction score
Did some driving today and while two 1 Ohm resistors is very clean sound from the sub, it's just a tad too low in the new box. So I pulled it and bypassed both resistors. It took no time at all to decide that didn't work. It's back to over-boosted bass (with EQ Bass at 0). I'm aiming at a nice balance where FM isn't obnoxious to listen to and streaming thumps where it should.

So for now I'm only running one 1 Ohm resistor before the filter on the plus side. It's good so I'm going to leave it this way for a while but I may try adding in a .5 Ohm at some point. It's kind of hit or miss trying to balance the sub output using resistors but that's all I know to do using the factory amp.

Here's what the inside of the box looks like with the parts mounted. I used double sided foam tape behind them and standoffs on the red low pass filter. I then tossed in all the poly fill stuffing I previously had in the factory sub.
View attachment 156628

It really does sound so much better than stock. Keeping the Bass and Mid at 0 on the EQ let's me hear all that mid-bass and the sub I've been missing for so long.

What's the thickness of the MDF? It doesn't say on his website.

Users who are viewing this thread