5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Subwoofer in Harmon Kardon

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m noticing a rattling type sound coming from the area of the subwoofer in the back if I have the bass turned up more than 2 or 3 positive clicks. I don’t know if it’s the woofer itself, or if the booming base is rattling something around it. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

AtmozFear

Reaction score
I don’t have the HK system, but with the alpine system, I get the rattling sound on the back wall from the sub also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airvista66

Reaction score
My rear window rattles like crazy along with the sub itself. By that I'm not sure if its the box or part of the fabric over the cone of the woofer. I noticed if I pushed hard on the center of the subwoofer while it plays I can make a large majority of the rattle go away. Long story short extremely disappointed in this "high end" system. Just waiting for JL to come out with an after market box so I can ditch the factory sub all together.

JeffK2019

Reaction score
Rear window on mine for sure. We have finally clicked the bass down to -1 to try and adjust it and make it reasonable - on some songs with heavy base it's a brutal rattle.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Rear window on mine for sure. We have finally clicked the bass down to -1 to try and adjust it and make it reasonable - on some songs with heavy base it's a brutal rattle.
I just got some felt tape in that I will use to try to stop mine from rattling

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is odd. I got in the truck a little while ago and turned the base up all the way o the equalizer and put most to the sound to the rear. I was trying to see if I could determine were the rattle was actually coming from. I.e whether it was the subwoofer or something else. Had a deep base country song on and no rattle. System sounded great. Couldn’t turn it up much more than 18 or it’s just too loud. Took it for a drive and still not rattle. But I know it makes that unwanted sound sometimes.

ium33

Reaction score
Not entirely on point, but my rear driver door speaker rattles or maybe sounds blown, but it only happens at certain frequencies. It's somewhere in the middle of that speaker's range. Maybe the sub is doing the same?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not entirely on point, but my rear driver door speaker rattles or maybe sounds blown, but it only happens at certain frequencies. It's somewhere in the middle of that speaker's range. Maybe the sub is doing the same?
Could be. It’s a head scratcher.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I was just messing with mine and it’s definitely my rear window that is producing most of the rattle.
I am trying some thin felt in the window channel to make it tighter.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just messing with mine and it’s definitely my rear window that is producing most of the rattle.
Let us know how that works out. I’m wondering if it could be my sliding rear window. But it only seems to make the noise with certain songs/certain frequencies?

AtmozFear

Reaction score
My back wall/window rattles a lot. I only have the alpine 9.1 system, but the other day when I was getting gas, my wife has music up and I could hear the back wall area rattling quite a bit outside the truck even. Quite annoying for a newer truck. My 2012 ram has a full aftermarket system and sub, and it doesn’t rattle one bit.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
My back wall/window rattles a lot. I only have the alpine 9.1 system, but the other day when I was getting gas, my wife has music up and I could hear the back wall area rattling quite a bit outside the truck even. Quite annoying for a newer truck. My 2012 ram has a full aftermarket system and sub, and it doesn’t rattle one bit.

Yes, I can also hear mine on the outside too but the majority of mine is definitely the window.
Let us know how that works out. I’m wondering if it could be my sliding rear window. But it only seems to make the noise with certain songs/certain frequencies?
Mine is only on certain frequencies so I kept playing a song over and over that makes it do it.

Cornsilky

Reaction score

Did the felt work out for you? I just picked up a my 1500 on Saturday. My sliding window rattles as well.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Does RAM not care enough to install a 5 cent felt sticker at the factory so that this doesn't happen? It's not like the issue is a secret, and it's not as if the fix requires revamping their entire assembly line.

I noticed this issue within 1 minute of driving the vehicle with the radio on. :rolleyes:

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
I have another thread where I complained about the same. Open the window all the way, which allows it to flex a lot more. Take a 2 inch x 1 inch piece of felt and stick it on the upper right part of the window that goes into the window track, and the same on the upper left. The upper left part requires a bit more force as its still in the window track, but the upper right part moves quite a bit when open and easy. Have someone close the window while you are holding the bottom of the felt and it will seal tight into the track and fix the rattle. Mine was severe even at lower volumes with any type of music, now its silent.

This works great from Amazon

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have another thread where I complained about the same. Open the window all the way, which allows it to flex a lot more. Take a 2 inch x 1 inch piece of felt and stick it on the upper right part of the window that goes into the window track, and the same on the upper left. The upper left part requires a bit more force as its still in the window track, but the upper right part moves quite a bit when open and easy. Have someone close the window while you are holding the bottom of the felt and it will seal tight into the track and fix the rattle. Mine was severe even at lower volumes with any type of music, now its silent.

This works great from Amazon
Any chance you could circle the area of the window in a photo and post it here? My rear window rattle drives me nuts... only does it when the window is fully closed. I have a huge roll of felt tape, but not sure where to place it.

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
Any chance you could circle the area of the window in a photo and post it here? My rear window rattle drives me nuts... only does it when the window is fully closed. I have a huge roll of felt tape, but not sure where to place it.
Yeah I will snap a couple photos tomorrow for you of where I put it.

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
You can see the piece of felt in the corners of the top.

Attachments

• 966FFEBB-A79C-49F1-B63C-C909FDF3408C.jpeg
    966FFEBB-A79C-49F1-B63C-C909FDF3408C.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 0B7A997B-A4E8-4108-AADC-E1A9E13173AB.jpeg
    0B7A997B-A4E8-4108-AADC-E1A9E13173AB.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 114
  • B144B6B5-63F0-4C6B-A667-638AD795D3DD.jpeg
    B144B6B5-63F0-4C6B-A667-638AD795D3DD.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 113

Users who are viewing this thread