5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Subscription-Based Automobiles...

BNeal

Reaction score
Most of us have noticed an increased push toward subscription-based options If we want to take advantage of all the tech that comes with our vehicles. My wife drives a 2019 Chevy Equinox and we have been paying the fees for the OnStar service, but recently decided we weren't really using enough of the OnStar features to warrant the cost. So, I had it shut off. Now, not only will remote start not work from the cell phone app, even the key fob won't work for remote start.

I recently retired from John Deere corporate, so I still get lots of email and correspondence from the ag community. Last September, I saw an article regarding Deere counting on 10% of it's revenue to be generated by subscription services by 2030. Here is a clip from the article, and a link if you want to read the full version.

"Software fees to make up 10% of John Deere's revenues by 2030"

"1.5 million machines and half a billion acres of land connected to the John Deere Operations Center within a matter of years

Richard Currie - The Register​

Mon 12 Sep 2022 // 15:17 UTC

US farm machinery giant John Deere has estimated software fees will make up 10 percent of the company's revenues by the end of the decade.
Chief executive John May offered the projection in a Wall Street Journal report on how Deere has plowed billions into developing self-driving tractors and crop sprayers that can tell the difference between weeds and produce.
Though farmers are already struggling with operating costs – including fertilizer and fuel – Deere wants to sell software subscriptions for operating its ever smarter vehicles."

Here is a link to the article: Software to contribute 10% of Deere revenues by 2030

My point is, we can run, but we can't hide. Eventually - and even now, in many cases, we are/will be, bound by the subscription fees if we want to use all the tech we paid for when we purchased the vehicle. So, essentially, we are paying to have the technology built into our vehicles, but can't use it unless we pay their ransom to unlock it. Not sure how y'all feel about that, but I'm concerned.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think everyone hates this. Especially picked-up steam when BMW said they were going to charge a subscription fee for heated seats, though it turns out later it wasn't exactly what they are doing, but it set off the conversation about subscription features already built into vehicles.

Obviously a money grab, why charge once when you can charge forever in the life of the vehicle.

Considering the level of inflation everyone is dealing with now, not sure how much nickel and diming we are all going to be able to take.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Definitely sucks but more than likely people will always find ways to hack things like heated seats or whatever else they try and make subscription based.

U

User_3336

Has anyone ever renewed Sirius Guardian? It's so overpriced, why would anyone?

nitmik

Reaction score
This is very sad.

I recently read an article that there is a member of congress from New Jersey who is trying to push for a law prohibiting a monthly service charge for an option that a vehicle is equipped with. It would be one thing to charge for remote start from an app, but completely BS to charge for pushing remote start button on your fob 10 feet from your vehicle.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of us have noticed an increased push toward subscription-based options If we want to take advantage of all the tech that comes with our vehicles. My wife drives a 2019 Chevy Equinox and we have been paying the fees for the OnStar service, but recently decided we weren't really using enough of the OnStar features to warrant the cost. So, I had it shut off. Now, not only will remote start not work from the cell phone app, even the key fob won't work for remote start.

I recently retired from John Deere corporate, so I still get lots of email and correspondence from the ag community. Last September, I saw an article regarding Deere counting on 10% of it's revenue to be generated by subscription services by 2030. Here is a clip from the article, and a link if you want to read the full version.

"Software fees to make up 10% of John Deere's revenues by 2030"

"1.5 million machines and half a billion acres of land connected to the John Deere Operations Center within a matter of years

Richard Currie - The Register​

Mon 12 Sep 2022 // 15:17 UTC

US farm machinery giant John Deere has estimated software fees will make up 10 percent of the company's revenues by the end of the decade.
Chief executive John May offered the projection in a Wall Street Journal report on how Deere has plowed billions into developing self-driving tractors and crop sprayers that can tell the difference between weeds and produce.
Though farmers are already struggling with operating costs – including fertilizer and fuel – Deere wants to sell software subscriptions for operating its ever smarter vehicles."

Here is a link to the article: Software to contribute 10% of Deere revenues by 2030

My point is, we can run, but we can't hide. Eventually - and even now, in many cases, we are/will be, bound by the subscription fees if we want to use all the tech we paid for when we purchased the vehicle. So, essentially, we are paying to have the technology built into our vehicles, but can't use it unless we pay their ransom to unlock it. Not sure how y'all feel about that, but I'm concerned.
Something is off. My other ride is a '20 Equinox, no OnStar subscription and my keyfob remote start works...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Something is off. My other ride is a '20 Equinox, no OnStar subscription and my keyfob remote start works...
I'm thinking he isn't using the correct procedure for remote start. My wife's 2020 traverse works just fine from the fob without OnStar subscription

Loudram

Reaction score
It is coming. The only thing that I'm going to subscribe to is the remote start from the app on my phone and watch. That, to me, is worth it especially when I'm at work and the truck is out of fob range while I'm inside. I work nights so in the morning in winter it's nice to have a warm frost free truck to get into.

As for paying for things already on the fob like remote start from the fob or local functions that don't require a cell connection like heated seats/wheel, that's bs.

My wife just bought a 2019 Ford Edge. Ford gave her the remote start option from her phone for free. She has nothing to subscribe to. FCA should take a page from Ford's book. But only THAT page! LOL

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is coming. The only thing that I'm going to subscribe to is the remote start from the app on my phone and watch. That, to me, is worth it especially when I'm at work and the truck is out of fob range while I'm inside. I work nights so I'm the morning in the winter it's nice to have a warm frost free truck to get into.

As for paying for things already on the fob like remote start from the fob or local functions that don't require a cell connection like heated seats/wheel, that's bs.

My wife just bought a 2019 Ford Edge. Ford gave her the remote start option from her phone for free. She has nothing to subscribe to. FCA should take a page from Ford's book. But only THAT page! LOL
It wasn't free. You pay for it with the cost of the vehicle.

Loudram

Reaction score
It wasn't free. You pay for it with the cost of the vehicle.
True, but its nice not to have a monthly subscription for as long as you own the car. Paying for it up front seems like it would be cheaper in the long run.

Unfortunately I'm not even sure how much it will cost. They won't tell me yet. I have to call. Does anyone know how much "assistance" costs? Just the one with the remote start option. And has anyone talked them down in price? I'll throw this out there but I'm going to search for it in here too.

Edit: It's about $12. Now has anyone talked them down in price like you can with Sirius?

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
True, but its nice not to have a monthly subscription for as long as you own the car. Paying for it up front seems like it would be cheaper in the long run.
Yeah, my wife's 2017 Traverse was that way. We didn't realize Chevy stopped that when we turned it in for the 2020 or we probably would have kept the 2017

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another reason I plan to keep this 2022 forever. If I ever do trade this one in, it'll be for a truck of similar vintage that doesn't require subscription based features.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever renewed Sirius Guardian? It's so overpriced, why would anyone?
I didn't mainly because I was stuck working from home when I got the truck and the subscription ended. Not leaving the house much I couldn't find the value. I will admit that I did pay for OnStar when I had a Chevy...loved the remote start from the app and that I could call up and talk to someone on the fly and have them look up and send driving directions right to the vehicle. They were very efficient...and they did save my mom's life in a rollover accident. It was OnStar that called her car and asked if she was OK...and she wasn't...OnStar sent rescue.

Users who are viewing this thread