5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sub-Zero Temps - 2020 Ram Laramie

tiny_harrell

Reaction score
Good evening! Just bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. We are supposed to head to Montana this week and about to drive through some negative degree windchills and even worse during evening times when at a hotel. Any recommendations for fuel additives? There is no block heater on the truck (not enough time to add one either). Any help would be great!

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a modern gas vehicle, it will be fine in well below freezing temps. Especially on the move.

Perhaps check or replace the 12V battery to ensure it starts at the drop of a hat.

Maybe just let it warm up a minute or two before setting off, then be a tad more ginger than usual nail fully up to temp. Transmission will take much longer to get to temp, if ever it does.

Fleets of gas trucks and even some diesels operate in -20 to -40 F temps in fort mcmurry oil patches without issue, without block heaters, and without a lot of TlC. You should be fine for a jaunt through Montana.

I’d be thinking more about tires if anything, maybe an oil change to a cold climate-friendly viscosity (if needed - all I’ll say for now to avoid turning it into an oil thread).

Oh and don’t forget to bring an ice scraper and good gear - don’t be that guy clearing his windshield with a credit card!

tiny_harrell

Reaction score
It’s a modern gas vehicle, it will be fine in well below freezing temps. Especially on the move.

Perhaps check or replace the 12V battery to ensure it starts at the drop of a hat.

Maybe just let it warm up a minute or two before setting off, then be a tad more ginger than usual nail fully up to temp. Transmission will take much longer to get to temp, if ever it does.

Fleets of gas trucks and even some diesels operate in -20 to -40 F temps in fort mcmurry oil patches without issue, without block heaters, and without a lot of TlC. You should be fine for a jaunt through Montana.

I’d be thinking more about tires if anything, maybe an oil change to a cold climate-friendly viscosity (if needed - all I’ll say for now to avoid turning it into an oil thread).

Oh and don’t forget to bring an ice scraper and good gear - don’t be that guy clearing his windshield with a credit card!
CalvinC - Thank you for the reply! I am getting the oil and antifreeze changed today because I do not know when/what this truck has in it.
I was hoping to use an old Sam's Club card for the windshield...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
CalvinC - Thank you for the reply! I am getting the oil and antifreeze changed today because I do not know when/what this truck has in it.
I was hoping to use an old Sam's Club card for the windshield...
You will probably want more than a credit card to scrape windows. Good ice scrapersvare cheap

Probably didn't need to change the coolant. Make sure your tires are all season rated by and decent tread depth.

jkm312

Reaction score
++1 for changing the battery, If it is getting on in its reliability then really cold temps will find it faster than a battery check in warm temps. I've always found preventative maintience is always less expensive and easier than breaking down in the middle of a trip. These trucks depend on constant clean power from the battery, with a good ground. Consider a H7 or H8 AGM. In colder temps 10 and on down I've always used a couple bottles of HEET in a full tank of gas. Cell phone service can be spotty, there is not a substitute for self reliance.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I live and work in constant sub zero temps, as others have said make sure your battery is good. I do nothing else and my truck starts every time.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread