5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sub install with H/k system. LOVE IT!

fossy007

Reaction score
First post here! Sorry if I don’t post links/photos correctly! Bought a 2021 Rebel in December with rebel 12 group. Love everything about those truck except for the H/K system.

Not that this means anything but For a reference in how my review is weighted, I would like to say I am somewhat of a beginner audiophile(29 yr old). Balanced sound all around. I am an avid collector of vintage tube audio.

This subject is pretty well covered so I'll keep my complaints short.

-The bass sucks is so many ways.
-Sounds stage way off. It actually comes to form sitting in rear middle seat leaning forward.
-Rattle Rattle Rattle

I will say that unplugging the stock sub sounds way better. 4 6x9’s put out plenty of the mid bass at the same frequency the stock sub is. You will still lack the true low end. Also I've read where guys asked about plugging an aftermarket sub to the stock sub harness and don't think anyone actually did it. I tried it with the new box/sub out of curiosity and it sounded terrible. Doing a frequency test from YouTube the new sub cut out all together around 60hz.

Anyways I searched for a long time for something to fix the bass in this truck. I didn't want dual subs, anything obnoxiously loud and wanted to keep the project cost under $1000 with installing it myself.

The box:

Brand- Ground shaker
I got the box for a 10”
You can get it for a 10”, 12” or the for solo-baric
Tuned to 32hz
1.12 cubic ft
$215 shipped
Shipping 3-4 weeks as they are made to order.

Sub:
JL audio 10W0v3
Recommended Ported box volume is 1.125cu/ft
25 - 250 hz
300w RMS

Amp:
Rockford Fosgate R2500x1

Interface:
Amppro ap4-ch41

The install took about 5 hrs and was actually surprisingly easy. Except for the 12” screen removal. That was gut wrenching. Two screws and Swift full body yank. Interface is mounted above my pedals. Ran all the wires in the plastic cover thing along the bottom of the door opening. I also mounted a remote under the shifter knob area. I had to remove the fold out storage for this box. Not an issue for me as I don’t use this truck for work and will eventually get mountable boxes in the bed. My daily driver is a GMC Savannah 3500 extended with a 6.6 duramax:)

I will say I was hesitant before installing that this would still not be the bass solution I was looking for, either it being too much or not accurate bass being ported and aftermarket.
Hands down would recommend this to everyone. It is tight clean bass while hitting the lows at all volumes. It fills every void from the H/k system in every low frequency and is completely balanced. Don’t get me wrong with the gain on the amp turn half way you easily get the head turning bass. However even loud it’s still a very clean sound. Anyways hope you guys like my Review and feel free to ask any question. Also this is a great forum lots of good and relevant info!

This is my first car sub install and still need to clean my wires up a bit and get a proper wire to the sub. I just used what I had for the time.
9443b0168841ef4ab66821d3d4a5af97.jpg

b3cb2748e64c2549a046db3a1e870587.jpg

3f46454d406c4cf253e2981f2847af09.jpg

4e93d39ae47c5bc3476a9f243e3be5fc.jpg

c593a4cd91883eb70a6a39982e9c8ff7.jpg

d1c5d2e01ef30a15ae855429f9f81844.jpg

d86c95aba330c33538c36cfc682c81e3.jpg

3730b4dfcdeb77efe05b24ac39cff2a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6ixgodson

Reaction score
Looks dope. Curious as why you didnt use an LC2i for the subwoofer output instead of opening the dash. Im planning to tap into the subwoofer to the LC2i. So i can keep the stock sub running and also have my other 2 subs on standby. Im going to run 2 6.5 JL w3v3 with alpine pdx2.150. 300 rms. Maybe if not enough, ill add a custom box with 4 6.5 in the summer.

fossy007

Reaction score
Looks dope. Curious as why you didnt use an LC2i for the subwoofer output instead of opening the dash. Im planning to tap into the subwoofer to the LC2i. So i can keep the stock sub running and also have my other 2 subs on standby. Im going to run 2 6.5 JL w3v3 with alpine pdx2.150. 300 rms. Maybe if not enough, ill add a custom box with 4 6.5 in the summer.
I am not up to par on the LC2i. If it is a LOC I didn't think there are any full range speakers in the hk system to tap into. I also didn't want to cut any wires and the AmpPro was just plug and play.

Coltonweston

Reaction score
Is there RCA ports on the back of factory head units In the 5th gens. I have 8.4” screen and was curious because I would prefer to not tap into speaker wires to put in subs.

fossy007

Reaction score
I don’t know for the 8.4” screen but the 12” screen does not have RCA.

Aries

Reaction score
Awesome set up! Is it heavy enough bass to rattle the mirror if you wanted to turn it up?

I think I might switch to this same box and upgrade my sub, my 10TW1-2 doesn’t quite have that body rattling bass but it sounds clean and improved the system a lot. I’m just want to be able to turn it up a bit.

fossy007

Reaction score
Awesome set up! Is it heavy enough bass to rattle the mirror if you wanted to turn it up?

I think I might switch to this same box and upgrade my sub, my 10TW1-2 doesn’t quite have that body rattling bass but it sounds clean and improved the system a lot. I’m just want to be able to turn it up a bit.

Yes it does. I rarely turn it past half on the gain. Just for comparison if you have the HK system, I would compare it to having 6 of the stock subs(not a quality comparison but in volume).

Aries

Reaction score
Good info, thank you. I currently have a kicker key 500.1 amp, so I will be limited to 150w rms @ 4 ohms. I am concerned about under powering the W0, was really hoping to keep the same amp though!

Hdh67

Reaction score
First post here! Sorry if I don’t post links/photos correctly! Bought a 2021 Rebel in December with rebel 12 group. Love everything about those truck except for the H/K system.

Not that this means anything but For a reference in how my review is weighted, I would like to say I am somewhat of a beginner audiophile(29 yr old). Balanced sound all around. I am an avid collector of vintage tube audio.

This subject is pretty well covered so I'll keep my complaints short.

-The bass sucks is so many ways.
-Sounds stage way off. It actually comes to form sitting in rear middle seat leaning forward.
-Rattle Rattle Rattle

I will say that unplugging the stock sub sounds way better. 4 6x9’s put out plenty of the mid bass at the same frequency the stock sub is. You will still lack the true low end. Also I've read where guys asked about plugging an aftermarket sub to the stock sub harness and don't think anyone actually did it. I tried it with the new box/sub out of curiosity and it sounded terrible. Doing a frequency test from YouTube the new sub cut out all together around 60hz.

Anyways I searched for a long time for something to fix the bass in this truck. I didn't want dual subs, anything obnoxiously loud and wanted to keep the project cost under $1000 with installing it myself.

The box:

Brand- Ground shaker
I got the box for a 10”
You can get it for a 10”, 12” or the for solo-baric
Tuned to 32hz
1.12 cubic ft
$215 shipped
Shipping 3-4 weeks as they are made to order.

Sub:
JL audio 10W0v3
Recommended Ported box volume is 1.125cu/ft
25 - 250 hz
300w RMS

Amp:
Rockford Fosgate R2500x1

Interface:
Amppro ap4-ch41

The install took about 5 hrs and was actually surprisingly easy. Except for the 12” screen removal. That was gut wrenching. Two screws and Swift full body yank. Interface is mounted above my pedals. Ran all the wires in the plastic cover thing along the bottom of the door opening. I also mounted a remote under the shifter knob area. I had to remove the fold out storage for this box. Not an issue for me as I don’t use this truck for work and will eventually get mountable boxes in the bed. My daily driver is a GMC Savannah 3500 extended with a 6.6 duramax:)

I will say I was hesitant before installing that this would still not be the bass solution I was looking for, either it being too much or not accurate bass being ported and aftermarket.
Hands down would recommend this to everyone. It is tight clean bass while hitting the lows at all volumes. It fills every void from the H/k system in every low frequency and is completely balanced. Don’t get me wrong with the gain on the amp turn half way you easily get the head turning bass. However even loud it’s still a very clean sound. Anyways hope you guys like my Review and feel free to ask any question. Also this is a great forum lots of good and relevant info!

This is my first car sub install and still need to clean my wires up a bit and get a proper wire to the sub. I just used what I had for the time.
9443b0168841ef4ab66821d3d4a5af97.jpg

b3cb2748e64c2549a046db3a1e870587.jpg

3f46454d406c4cf253e2981f2847af09.jpg

4e93d39ae47c5bc3476a9f243e3be5fc.jpg

c593a4cd91883eb70a6a39982e9c8ff7.jpg

d1c5d2e01ef30a15ae855429f9f81844.jpg

d86c95aba330c33538c36cfc682c81e3.jpg

3730b4dfcdeb77efe05b24ac39cff2a3.jpg

Looks great. Thank you for the review - I have been on the fence about this box and I think I have my answer. I have two questions about the specific box that I haven't been able to find in any search. If anyone knows the answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. It looks like we both have the same floormats. Other than the fact that the mats cover the in floor storage, if the mats were removed, are you able still access the storage boxes with this box?

2. I have the reclining rear seats. Will they still work? The company sent me an email about having to move the box, but it was kind of vague.. Even if they won't recline stock, maybe a seat spacer would work???

Last question...

The Amppro ap4-ch41 appears to be out of stock at most places, plus it's a little expensive for me right now; I just got the truck and I have spent $2k+ on upgrades (bed liner, hard touneu cover, etc.) to get it setup like the Gen 4 it's replacing. Does anyone have any alternative recommendations for someone with the HK system? I only want to upgrade my sub and I would like to avoid removing the noise canceling unless it's a problem (some people have reported no issues after upgrades).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online