5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid Tire Question

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
I think I am overthinking this and causing me to confuse myself...

My 2wd LoneStar came stock with Nexen tires. After about 4k miles they started losing traction taking off from a stop sign on asphalt (spin) and squealing in mild turns.I'm at 12000 miles and I drifted into a curve on a damp asphalt street at low speed.

I am trying to figure out if an AT tire would provide as good all around grip as performance tires.

I don't generally need off pavement traction, but I would like to have it in that rare instance i need it.

I know the traditional thought is, more contact=more traction (relative to the rubber compound).
Logic keeps making me wonder if more edges (void/lug)=more grip (the idea behind siping).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jshemmy

Reaction score
I have the falken AT tires on my new ram and love them. Drive great and plenty of traction in all weather conditions

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have both and I can say that my A/T tires do not grip as well in wet weather. When I say that I mean going around curves . Now with that being the case I do have load range E tires and that I’m sure adversely affects that lol.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know the traditional thought is, more contact=more traction (relative to the rubber compound).
Logic keeps making me wonder if more edges (void/lug)=more grip (the idea behind siping).
That may be true on dry pavement. In damp/wet conditions, traction is heavily dependent on the ability of the tire to channel water away from the contact patch of the tire. All season tires generally do a much better job of this than summer tires. Summer (performance) tires will provide better grip and cornering in ideal conditions, but all season tires will handle adverse conditions and last longer. All terrain tires go even bigger with voids/channels than all season, giving them better performance off road and in deep snow or on unpaved roads. But they won’t necessarily outperform all season tires on wet paved roads.

I’ll agree with @jshemmy above...I’m very pleased so far with the OEM Falkens. On previous trucks, I’ve always run BFG KO2s.

Users who are viewing this thread