5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid Gear Selector

mpurkey

Reaction score
So, I’m a first time RAM truck owner and I’m having a hell of a time getting used to the gear selector dial. While making three point turns or backing into a parking space I swear I select park when I should be going the opposite direction to drive. Not good to select park while moving. Maybe one day I’ll get use to it.

2019 REBEL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
So, I’m a first time RAM truck owner and I’m having a hell of a time getting used to the gear selector dial. While making three point turns or backing into a parking space I swear I select park when I should be going the opposite direction to drive. Not good to select park while moving. Maybe one day I’ll get use to it.

2019 REBEL

It won't take long.

skracus

Reaction score
Yeah you'll get the hang of it. Went through the same thing with my 2016.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

2019 REBEL

Just need to get used to it. You'll be fine after a couple of days.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Me too. That being said, I really, really miss the column-mounted electronic shifter of my Mercedes.
My fav of all time. Operated with one finger while hand on the wheel. Brilliant design.

Cheers,

Cravenfan

Reaction score

2019 REBEL

I've tried to go from reverse to drive a few times and managed to turn up the radio! :D

You'll get used to it. As I drove in today, I missed my GMC shifter, as I used to rest my hand up there to get warm air from the vent. But, I don't miss much on that GMC.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me is whenever i back the car to park which i supposed to turn it to P but always put it into D, anyway i'm getting better and used to it right now.

Reactions: Vic

mpurkey

Reaction score
I've tried to go from reverse to drive a few times and managed to turn up the radio! :D

You'll get used to it. As I drove in today, I missed my GMC shifter, as I used to rest my hand up there to get warm air from the vent. But, I don't miss much on that GMC.

I had a 2011 Dodge Ram work truck what had the gear selector on the column. It also had the gear selector +/- button on the end. When I rested my hand on it I more than once went from 6th gear to 2nd by accident. It’s a wonder I didn’t blow the danged thing up but it kept on going.

derp

Reaction score

2019 REBEL

my personal snag is backing in and overshooting the reverse to park.

jdale

Reaction score
My wife has a '14 Durango with the shift knob on the consol. I'm constantly reaching for her dashboard trying to find the shift knob there.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, I've turned the radio and fan knobs a few times during 3 point turns, but I got use to that knob enough that I'm happy to use it now.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Driving a few different rental cars, and found I actually like the shift nobs on the console the best. But I do like the nob shifters

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
ive been embarrassed a few times when doing a multipoint turn and throw it in park instead of drive, then I correct...but the auto parking brake has engaged and doesn’t release...leaving me looking like a total idiot. I’ve also reached for the gear knob and hit the off button (screwed my nav for a day with that trick). But I will say that this gear knob has made me form a habit of checking the knob before taking my foot off the brake!

Users who are viewing this thread