5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuck Turn Signal

tom318

Reaction score
Curious if anyone else has had this issue. When turning left the turn signal will not automatically shut off after the turn is completed. It happens about half of the time. Is this something easy to look into? Id prefer to not take it to the dealer if I can troubleshoot myself a bit.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone else has had this issue. When turning left the turn signal will not automatically shut off after the turn is completed. It happens about half of the time. Is this something easy to look into? Id prefer to not take it to the dealer if I can troubleshoot myself a bit.
Other members have reported issues like that. One of those members said he removed the air bag and found that the steering wheel was not centered. Apparently there are alignment marks on the steering wheel hub and the spline. You might want to search the forum for one of those threads for the details on that.

HitmanHugh

Reaction score
I'm having this exact issue, but I have not looked into it at all. Would love to find out there's a simple fix!

tom318

Reaction score
MIne does this. Service department couldn't find anything wrong.
That's my worry. I don't want to deal with that hassle and arranging to drop off/pick up to find they did nothing but possibly scratch things up or break interior pieces.....I think I literally only had 1 great dealer service experience with any brand of cars. Rest are average to awful.

I did turn my brights on and off about 10 times and since then I haven't seen the issue. Not sure if its a coincidence or it has some kind of mechanical connection. Cant find a good diagram of how it all goes together.

Not sure when you guys noticed the issue but I have 25k miles now and id say it started appearing around 20k.

WhiteKnight4x4

Reaction score
That's my worry. I don't want to deal with that hassle and arranging to drop off/pick up to find they did nothing but possibly scratch things up or break interior pieces.....I think I literally only had 1 great dealer service experience with any brand of cars. Rest are average to awful.

I did turn my brights on and off about 10 times and since then I haven't seen the issue. Not sure if its a coincidence or it has some kind of mechanical connection. Cant find a good diagram of how it all goes together.

Not sure when you guys noticed the issue but I have 25k miles now and id say it started appearing around 20k.
I was told they removed the module, examined it and didn't find anything wrong. At least none of the panels were scratched.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The most common cause of something like this is either the steering rack and/or the steering column is not centered. Try turning your wheels all the way left and right and see if it goes to full lock in both directions. An alignment shop could probably tell you if something is off as well. It might be worth taking it in and having them check things out. I know my local dealership's service center doesn't do alignments, so they would probably send it there anyway if they thought to check that out.

Whodeysrt

Reaction score
Same issue I’m having….I can live with it vs taking to dealership.

WhiteKnight4x4

Reaction score
The most common cause of something like this is either the steering rack and/or the steering column is not centered. Try turning your wheels all the way left and right and see if it goes to full lock in both directions. An alignment shop could probably tell you if something is off as well. It might be worth taking it in and having them check things out. I know my local dealership's service center doesn't do alignments, so they would probably send it there anyway if they thought to check that out.
With mine, I have noticed that if the steering wheel is turned less than half a turn, it may not reset. But if its turned more than half a turn it works properly.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
With mine, I have noticed that if the steering wheel is turned less than half a turn, it may not reset. But if its turned more than half a turn it works properly.
That's normal for pretty much any vehicle. If the wheel isn't turned far enough it won't deactivate the turn signal. But the amount of turning needed to turn off the blinker should be equal in both directions.

WhiteKnight4x4

Reaction score
That's normal for pretty much any vehicle. If the wheel isn't turned far enough it won't deactivate the turn signal. But the amount of turning needed to turn off the blinker should be equal in both directions.
It's the snapping/cracking sound it makes, when it fails to reset, that concerns me the most.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's the snapping/cracking sound it makes, when it fails to reset, that concerns me the most.
Snapping/cracking sound? That would likely be an issue with the multi-function switch. You say they removed it, examined it, and didn't find anything wrong? So they reinstalled the suspect switch? Did they mention exactly what they meant by "examined it"? I guess the fact that it's making snapping/cracking sounds didn't mean anything to them. It sounds like you're dealing with complete idiots at that dealership.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All this makes a guy really miss the good old days of a straight stick for a turn signal, a switch on the column for 4-way hazard flashers, a switch on the dash for the lights, another switch for the windshield washer, a button on the floor to go from low to high beam, and three on the tree. Most of you young fellas are most likely scratching your head as to what these are but back then simpler was better - and typically more reliable.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
All this makes a guy really miss the good old days of a straight stick for a turn signal, a switch on the column for 4-way hazard flashers, a switch on the dash for the lights, another switch for the windshield washer, a button on the floor to go from low to high beam, and three on the tree. Most of you young fellas are most likely scratching your head as to what these are but back then simpler was better - and typically more reliable.
With the exception of the three on the tree you just described my first dozen or so cars. And you forgot about the ignition key mounted to the dash. It's funny that seems to have come back now. :ROFLMAO:

WhiteKnight4x4

Reaction score
Snapping/cracking sound? That would likely be an issue with the multi-function switch. You say they removed it, examined it, and didn't find anything wrong? So they reinstalled the suspect switch? Did they mention exactly what they meant by "examined it"? I guess the fact that it's making snapping/cracking sounds didn't mean anything to them. It sounds like you're dealing with complete idiots at that dealership.
It sounded like they did a visual exam and turned the wheel lock to lock. When I dropped it off I told them it only happens when driving, won't do it otherwise, but they didn't drive it to check it.

Matt057

Reaction score
I have the same problem, only on left turns. It makes a loud snap when it should be resetting but doesn't. Right turn signal functions and does not make the same noise when turning off. It's getting pretty annoying for a brand new 50k truck.

tom318

Reaction score
I have the same problem, only on left turns. It makes a loud snap when it should be resetting but doesn't. Right turn signal functions and does not make the same noise when turning off. It's getting pretty annoying for a brand new 50k truck.
That's the exact same situation for me. It comes and goes. Haven't had time to dig into it further yet.

WPSram

Reaction score
That's the exact same situation for me. It comes and goes. Haven't had time to dig into it further yet.
Mine is doing the same thing. Recently my right turn signal will go on while just sitting not driving or turning the wheel as well. Sometimes turning the headlights on and off shuts it off, other times I have to move the signal stick around to get it off. I have 2021 with 11k miles.

Hemidakota

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my turn signal but it was changing lanes. I signaled to move right and flipped it down to turn it off but instead it started the left turn signal. There was no neutral position for the turn signal. It was either locked in the up position or down position. I drove probably two miles trying to get it fixed before I just started turning my high beams off and on and it finally went off and I had a neutral position for the turn signal again. It's done this one more time since. Truck has less than 3000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread