5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuck throttle

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
So this morning during my commute my throttle got stuck wide open while I was passing a car on the freeway.... I was already at 65mph when I floored it to pass and the damn pedal stayed on the floor. I got up to a 100mph before the truck figured out there was a problem (me mashing the brake pedal) and the truck started to slow and gave me a ton of error messages including me pushing the gas and brake at the same time and it went into reduced power mode.

Once I slowed to 65mph again the gas pedal ‘popped’ back into the normal position and I was left with a “A!” Error code on the dash. (Auto/start stop). Which cleared itself after I shut off the truck and started it again....

I do have a pedal commander (which I took out now) and the truck seems to be fine. Although I’m not confident that the commander was the issue as it’s never done anything like that before. I remember reading a few post where the throttle assembly was bad on some early builds and had to be replaced.... Mine is a 2/19 build.

my question is this.... the throttle assembly seems pretty loose as a whole. I’m able to move it from side to side with quite a bit of travel. I have a short video of the assembly moving.

... is everyone else’s assemblies like this this.... ? Any input is appreciated.

And not much to see but you can hear the motor redline and me mash the brakes.... this could have been bad. Sorry about the music.... I was having a 80’s flashback.

Last edited:

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Maybe ditch the pedal commander and see if this happens again , just to at least cancel one item out

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Maybe ditch the pedal commander and see if this happens again , just to at least cancel one item out
Yup.... first thing I did. Since it happened this morning I don’t have enough drive time to see if it reproduces.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This exactly why I don’t add the crap that screws with throttle control that didn’t come from Ram. Did you try to shift into neutral during this? Curious if it would let you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad460

Reaction score
Throttle stuck wide open...

Truck has a pedal commander which controls the throttle....

Not convinced the aftermarket throttle controller caused the throttle to stick wide open...

Uhm.....I am really reading this ?!

:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Throttle stuck wide open...

Truck has a pedal commander which controls the throttle....

Not convinced the aftermarket throttle controller caused the throttle to stick wide open...

Uhm.....I am really reading this ?!

:ROFLMAO::LOL:
Pretty straight forward question I thought.... thanks for the helpful reply.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
This exactly why I don’t add the crap that screws with throttle control that didn’t come from Ram. Did you try to shift into neutral during this? Curious if it would let you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough...... I’ve had tuners and superchargers and all sorts of aftermarket equipment all my 35 plus years of driving. it all makes the OEM stuff that much better. That’s why we have SEMA. Anyway, I know a lot of people have the pedal commander and are very happy with it and I didn’t remember seeing any posts about this happening. Just some posts about some bad throttle modules.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Over 150 views and no one can tell me if their throttle assembly is as loose as mine ? help a brother out, just reach down and wiggle it and let know. Thanks.

Kstatecat

Reaction score
Over 150 views and no one can tell me if their throttle assembly is as loose as mine ? help a brother out, just reach down and wiggle it and let know. Thanks.
Yes mine moves that much side to side. Never had any issues with it though.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I have side to side play in my pedal as well. I had a stuck accelorator once on an old 1995 Dodge 1500, luckily not on this truck yet.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Maybe I miss read. Was the pedal physically to floor?
Yes.... went physically to the floor. No mats in the way or other obstructions to hold it there..... I thought everything was fly by wire these days, what could possibly put it on the floor And as far as I know there are no servos or other items that should move the pedal... So confusing.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Chevy had a similar problem with their cars and trucks back in the early 2000's. But it was usually a gradual thing where you could tell the pedal was losing its "springyness" over time before it got stuck. Dealer had to adjust the pedals...I don't remember how they did it though.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes.... went physically to the floor. No mats in the way or other obstructions to hold it there..... I thought everything was fly by wire these days, what could possibly put it on the floor And as far as I know there are no servos or other items that should move the pedal... So confusing.
Then you have a physical part issue. Get this taken care off. PC won’t cause pedal to physically stick, just manipulates the voltage output signal

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Definitely wasn’t the throttle commander. More likely an defect with the pedal. never even heard of this happening in 6 years on these forums.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Then you have a physical part issue. Get this taken care off. PC won’t cause pedal to physically stick, just manipulates the voltage output signal
Definitely wasn’t the throttle commander. More likely an defect with the pedal. never even heard of this happening in 6 years on these forums.

thanks.... still trying to narrow down the issue. I’ve had the PC removed since it happened and I’ve tried to recreate the stuck pedal with no success. next time I’m in for service I’ll let the dealer know. For now the PC stays out, that’s a bummer because I can really tell a difference not having it in. thanks for all the responses.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
So as others have said, the pedal sticking is an issue with the pedal linkage mechanism itself I would suspect. I don't know how these linkages are put together, but we know there is no active mechanism that would push your pedal to the floor. So it had to be a mech failure sticking it there after you floored it. It must have released after all your justified panic. Definitely not the PC IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread