5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Steering behaviour at Speed.

GyRoCoN

Reaction score
Hi Folks. Long time lurker, first time poster here.
I just want to say this forum is a great wealth of information, and I appreciate the insights I've received by all the knowledgeable folks on here during my year or so of lurking :)

I am the proud owner of a '22 1500 SPORT with the GT package with about 17 thousand kilometres on the dial. I bought it new just shy of 6 months ago. This is my third RAM, the first being a 2014 ED, and the second a 2019 HEMI Warlock. both those trucks were retired from the fleet much to soon due to mechanical failure. The ED due to EGR failure JUST prior to the warranty being extended, and the Warlock due to the Cam bearings going out just shy of the 100,000 km powertrain warranty expiring.

Anyhow, this brings me to the '22 sport. I know the 5th gen trucks have electric power steering, but honestly I don't notice any difference in steering feel, with the exception of this one strange issue. I have noticed that at highway speeds of 100 KPH (60 MPH) and up, when the highway curves fairly sharply, the steering "sticks" in the turn. This behaviour gets progressively more acute the higher the speed. I just returned from a week long road trip through New England, and while travelling at 80 MPH on the interstate through the barren wastes of northern Maine, it was very noticeable to the point of being dangerous. during one long sweeping curve in the interstate, as the highway straightened out, the truck maintained the turn after I released the steering wheel. I had to manually return the wheel to centre to stop the turn. its like the steering catches and holds there. I used the search feature for any examples of this behaviour, but as is the case with most forums, the results are less than exhaustive. Any input would be appreciated.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This truck didn't come optioned with that feature. Just regular old dumb Cruise control.
That's not part of cruise control. You are thinking of adaptive cruise control and those aren't the same. But what you describe sounds like there could be an issue with alignment. Your truck should straighten out if the caster is correct. Either way, sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.

Geddyflea

Reaction score

This is a link to what is probably your problem. If I'm not mistaken I think it's something in the rack and pinion.

GyRoCoN

Reaction score

This is a link to what is probably your problem. If I'm not mistaken I think it's something in the rack and pinion.
Thanks for this. it sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. clearly my search feature skills are sorely lacking lol.

Slimmons

Reaction score
I had this exact issue when mine was delivered brand new. RAM refused to repair it under warranty (0 miles.....which I'll never understand). At any rate, I had it replaced, and my new one just started having the same issue again, which about 15k miles on it. I can't wait to see how RAM will deal with this.

mattee

Reaction score
My truck had the same issue, was fine at lower speeds but would feel like it was stuck on one the teeth in the rack at highway speed. The really weird part was it only did it on left turns. Mine was replaced by my local dealer under warranty, thank god. Hope you get yours taken care of.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for this. it sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. clearly my search feature skills are sorely lacking lol.
The search feature on the forum leaves a lot to be desired. You probably weren't the issue

Users who are viewing this thread