5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange humming/buzzing sound coming from somewhere???

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I know this is going to be vague, and irritatingly unhelpful to describe, but my hope is someone may have experienced this and can help me out.
2019 Rebel, with approx 100,000 kms (or 62,000 miles).

It sounds like a humming/vibrating/buzzing noise (I would describe it more as an electronic source vs mechanical but I'm no expert) that comes on at random. I "think" it's from the back somewhere but once I swore it sounded like a fan or something from under the hood? I can hear it often when I punch the gas in traffic and as I'm slowing down, not touching anything, it's there. Also comes on when driving at steady speed. It also goes away as I slow down, and just before the truck stops, it stops (like at 5 MPH)? I just swapped on my winter rims and tires and it's still there. I have tried "shifting" the gears while it is happening and it doesn't change so it doesn't seem to be tied to the engine RPM.

I'm lost :-(

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is going to be vague, and irritatingly unhelpful to describe, but my hope is someone may have experienced this and can help me out.
2019 Rebel, with approx 100,000 kms (or 62,000 miles).

It sounds like a humming/vibrating/buzzing noise (I would describe it more as an electronic source vs mechanical but I'm no expert) that comes on at random. I "think" it's from the back somewhere but once I swore it sounded like a fan or something from under the hood? I can hear it often when I punch the gas in traffic and as I'm slowing down, not touching anything, it's there. Also comes on when driving at steady speed. It also goes away as I slow down, and just before the truck stops, it stops (like at 5 MPH)? I just swapped on my winter rims and tires and it's still there. I have tried "shifting" the gears while it is happening and it doesn't change so it doesn't seem to be tied to the engine RPM.

I'm lost :-(
Can you get a recording of it and post to you tube?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is this a Hemi? From what you described it sounds like the ANC (Active Noise Cancelation) is malfunctioning

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, Hemi. I too was thinking that......thanks for the suggestion.
I bypassed mine over three years ago with iDatalink bCH3 due to strange noises. Head unit is base non-Nav 8.4 with Uconnect 4C

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I bypassed mine over three years ago with iDatalink bCH3 due to strange noises. Head unit is base non-Nav 8.4 with Uconnect 4C

Thanks, I've never heard of such a thing. I wonder if they have one for mine, the 12" with amp......

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, I've never heard of such a thing. I wonder if they have one for mine, the 12" with amp......
You can test if it is ANC by opening a window as this turns it off.

Adjutant

Reaction score
Great idea! I'll definitely try that the next time I hear it. The more I read about this, the more it sounds like it's the cause.
My 2021 Laramie with 77K miles just did this the other day. I thought it was an A/C fan, but it sounded more electronic. It was definitely weird. I have the active noise cancellation also. You described what I heard to a "T"

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if the 5.7L Hemi's have this, but it's worth a check (as it has come up as a source of rattling several times on the TRX forum). At the rear end of your exhaust pipes, right before the tips, do you have a small screen vent? They sometimes come loose, and rattle against the pipes.

Users who are viewing this thread