5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange find with Waze on 12.1”

skyhawk42

Reaction score
So my truck had the 8.4” non nav an occasionally Waze would show me off the road, but would usually correct itself. It was pretty annoying but would still get me where I was going. I ended up swapping the 8.4” for the 12.1 in with nav. While most of the glitches are better, the Waze and maps would rarely work. Either my location wouldn’t move or it would show me way off the road and never update where I was going. I was told when I did the swap that the double green fakra connector on the module wasn’t needed and was also told that was a Bluetooth/wifi connection, so I never used it and everything seemed ok. Then I started looking for updates as to why the Waze and maps didn’t work whether it was the app, my phone, or the UC5. I came accross a post that said turn off WiFi on the phone and connect it to the uconnect by the usb cable, so I tried it for the last week and my Waze and maps have worked flawlessly. As soon as I turn the WiFi back on the phone connects to the UC5 wirelessly and the maps and Waze lose location again. I have since did the forget uconnect on the phone and can leave WiFi turned on on the phone so it won’t connect wirelessly but I can still plug it in and everything has been working perfectly. So now I’m questioning if that WiFi/bluetooth antenna might be needed for this reason. Any thoughts on this? I know I use my phone wirelessly in my wife’s wagoneer with uc5 without issues, so something is definitely different in my truck

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So my truck had the 8.4” non nav an occasionally Waze would show me off the road, but would usually correct itself. It was pretty annoying but would still get me where I was going. I ended up swapping the 8.4” for the 12.1 in with nav. While most of the glitches are better, the Waze and maps would rarely work. Either my location wouldn’t move or it would show me way off the road and never update where I was going. I was told when I did the swap that the double green fakra connector on the module wasn’t needed and was also told that was a Bluetooth/wifi connection, so I never used it and everything seemed ok. Then I started looking for updates as to why the Waze and maps didn’t work whether it was the app, my phone, or the UC5. I came accross a post that said turn off WiFi on the phone and connect it to the uconnect by the usb cable, so I tried it for the last week and my Waze and maps have worked flawlessly. As soon as I turn the WiFi back on the phone connects to the UC5 wirelessly and the maps and Waze lose location again. I have since did the forget uconnect on the phone and can leave WiFi turned on on the phone so it won’t connect wirelessly but I can still plug it in and everything has been working perfectly. So now I’m questioning if that WiFi/bluetooth antenna might be needed for this reason. Any thoughts on this? I know I use my phone wirelessly in my wife’s wagoneer with uc5 without issues, so something is definitely different in my truck
Are you sure that isn't the GPS antenna? When you phone is connected, it uses the trucks GPS info. At least, that's what I've read.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I thought of that too, but the factory nav works fine regardless of the how the phone is connected, so I think the gps must be good. If the phone is connected wireless the nav apps on the phone won’t locate but if it’s connected with the wire it works perfectly. So it’s just the nav apps on the phone that give me trouble when the phone is connected using the WiFi

Users who are viewing this thread