5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange "Clunking" / "Knocking" Feeling coming from rear end (No Noises) - Help greatly appreciated

DevAebischer

Reaction score
Hi there,

Hoping someone can assist me here.

I took my truck to go have some fun in the snow and was doing some doughnuts. After we finished and headed home I noticed a bad vibration throughout the entire cabin.

I parked the truck overnight, and let all the snowpack melt. The next day, the vibration stopped, but now I notice a strong clunking / knocking feeling (No noise) coming from the backend that is noticeable at all speeds.

I re-balanced my tires twice and still noticed the same feeling. Then I took my truck into one of my mechanic friends shops and had him look over everything to ensure nothing was noticeably broken and he couldnt find anything but the problem is still persisting.

I've searched all the forums and watched all the youtube videos I could find but I cant seem to figure out what might be causing this.

Nothing seems to be broken to the eye, but it feels unsafe to drive.

I have a 2019 Ram Rebel w/ Air. Has anyone experienced this or know what might be the cause of this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

barrak

Reaction score
Ice buildup on wheels can cause some serious vibrations. You should've stopped immediately and dug the ice out of the wheels. Is it possible wheel alignment was thrown off balance? I assume your mechanic friend did check for any hub play, rotor warp, brake caliber clearance, wheel holes/studs damage due to loosened lugnuts, ...etc.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe snow pack bent an exhaust pipe or muffler and now hitting against body or frame?
Or maybe shifted an air bag or bent a strut now rubbing?
And then there's the widely reported driveshaft clunk - if you've driven some moisture into the slip joint, it can get wonky.
Just some ideas...

DevAebischer

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses and ideas! Truck is headed to the dealership today and will update this thread after the diagnoses for future reference!

Users who are viewing this thread