5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stranded in my 2019. Service ESC/Lost Power Steering/No bus

JCorley7

Reaction score
I was headed back home after vacation with family when the truck started completely freaking out.

Having the exact same issues as this thread below right now.

It seemed to reset itself but I still have "Service ESC" and "Power Steering Unavailable".

I've had my Power steering shut off twice in the last week but this is the first time it's gone crazy like this.

I'm 4 hours from home and there isn't a mechanic around here that is open.

JCorley7

Reaction score
I'll have to check. I just bought this truck a month ago. It could easily be a few years old. I also don't have any tools or my scanner with me.

JCorley7

Reaction score
Got the truck to go another mile before the power steering turned off again. Made it to AutoZone. Battery is showing 13.7v. This is the first time there's a CEL. Autozone's reader couldn't get it to connect to the truck. It kept saying "error reading, turn the ignition on".

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Always stressful to have issues away from home. Especially on a vacation with your family. Glad you were able to limp it home.

JCorley7

Reaction score
Results are in and I'm not surprised one bit - It's the same issue all of these 2019's seem to have - electric power steering in the rack is shorting out and the whole assembly needs to be replaced. They said my build date didn't fall within the recall. Thankfully I snagged an extended warranty when I bought it and should only be out $600 instead of $4-5k. Only problem is they don't have the part in stock and don't have an ETA. Love my truck and hopefully this is the last of electrical gremlins.

JCorley7

Reaction score
Dealership said this could be weeks if not months. Extended warranty only covers 14 days for a rental. Not sure what I’m supposed to do after that. Kinda ****ty on Ram TBH

Tripolet333

Reaction score
I’ve also got a 2019 Ram 1500 and I believe I’m having the same issue. I’ve been fighting an intermittent CAN bus issue for about a year with no resolution. When it flares up, everything freaks out: all warnings flashing on/off, “no bus” messages, instrument panel going on/off, windshield wipers running, fan running at high speed, service shifter, service ABS, service traction control, service 4x4, service trailer brake, service parking brake, etc. (I realize this is repetitive, but hoping it helps other owners find this thread when googling their symptoms more easily than it was for me). Dealer and myself couldn’t figure out what was causing it…until today.

Today while it was freaking out, I unplugged the modules from the star connector under the passenger side kick panel (this is a Star connector for the CAN C network I believe) and watched the dash after I unplugged each one to see when the “freak out” stopped. It stopped after unplugging what I believe is the power steering module (it stopped and then displayed a “Service power steering” message). I had to leave it unplugged just to get it home otherwise it continued to cause chaos on the network.

I have an appointment at the dealer next week for it, but now you have me worried that it could be months before it’s fixed if they’re short on the parts…

Did you reach out to @RamCares ? Might be worth reaching out to them to see how they can help. They opened a case for my issue last year, hopefully it’s still open now that I’ve narrowed down the problem.

classicn

Reaction score
Results are in and I'm not surprised one bit - It's the same issue all of these 2019's seem to have - electric power steering in the rack is shorting out and the whole assembly needs to be replaced. They said my build date didn't fall within the recall. Thankfully I snagged an extended warranty when I bought it and should only be out $600 instead of $4-5k. Only problem is they don't have the part in stock and don't have an ETA. Love my truck and hopefully this is the last of electrical gremlins.
Hi J... I have early 2019 Limited & just found out today the Power Steering Module/Steering Gear needs replacing at cost estimate of $3,000. I am real aggravated as truck only has 38,000 miles & it was one of early builds in late 2018. Anyone know how I can get Ram to help as I see recall was done in 2020 on many 2019's for Power Steering Recalls? Classicn

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That really sux. I’d also check the ground on the drivers side near the firewall.

Users who are viewing this thread