5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop your ride(s) from getting stolen!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi fellow peeps, you've got to look into this, either watch the YT on the fobs/radio signals and car theft, or read up on it. I wasn't aware of this issue but it sounds like a real problem. It takes him like 8 minutes (8:05) to get to the point...

My Truck was stolen! This could stop it from happening to you. 6 month review.​

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Edit - I looked up the bag he recommends, too many negative reviews saying it quit working after x many months. Then I looked at other brands, checking the 1 star reviews. Much the same. Finally I read this one: (Amazon)

1.0 out of 5 stars The bag will fail after two to three months and it will be hard to return after that.
Reviewed in the United States on June 7, 2019
Verified Purchase
This product will fail within a 2-3 month period if you us it daily. Mine is no longer blocking signals and now puts my car at risk of being stolen. If you are seeking a faraday cage you may want to avoid these bags. The folding causes the fabric faraday cage liner to wear. A solid faraday box is your best option. I used to use a tin box.

Update I went to Whole foods and bought a tin full of mints for $1.44 I threw the mints out and now use the tin for protection. Can’t beat the price or quality. I may paint it black later.

84 people found this helpful

So maybe just do that!

Reaction score
This one seems to be decent, but haven't used it enough yet to determine longevity...
Have large one also, saves cell phone battery, set to airplane mode, insert, become a ghost...

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son uses a Faraday bag for his Charger's fob. There have been a lot of Charger/Challenger thefts at his work. We keep all fobs in a tin at home.

Will have to tell him to test the bag periodically to make sure it's still effective now.

Quint

Reaction score
My truck does has remote keyless entry with push button start. I assume that my FOB is still broadcasting the signal to my truck in order to start the engine, but a thief would not be able to open the doors (unless they smash them) unless I had passive keyless entry.

I suppose that I feel somewhat lucky to have to hit the "unlock" button on my FOB to get into and lock up my truck.

Techna

Reaction score
My truck does has remote keyless entry with push button start. I assume that my FOB is still broadcasting the signal to my truck in order to start the engine, but a thief would not be able to open the doors (unless they smash them) unless I had passive keyless entry.

I suppose that I feel somewhat lucky to have to hit the "unlock" button on my FOB to get into and lock up my truck.
But if they clone your fob, won’t they be able to unlock it via the cloned fob?

Quint

Reaction score
That's a great question. I am not entirely sure. Is it the same signal to open the door as the ignition? I assumed that my fob is not sending out the door code constantly since my system isn't passive.

I'll also feel lucky that I am nowhere near a port for them to drive my truck to quickly! Chop shops.....unfortunately yes.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
So, with reviews for pouches/boxes being mixed, wouldn't it be better to install a hidden ignition kill switch? Yeah - they can clone the fob and get in, but they can't start it if the ignition is disabled, right?

Hogzfan

Reaction score
So, with reviews for pouches/boxes being mixed, wouldn't it be better to install a hidden ignition kill switch? Yeah - they can clone the fob and get in, but they can't start it if the ignition is disabled, right?
EXACTLY!!!! Had this on my old '68 Chevy SWB. Now, if I can just find the coil wire lead on this ecodiesel!

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Update - went on Amazon and ordered a Faraday box for the house. TinConn brand. It arrived and looked pretty good. Put my cell phone in it - closed it - called it - IT RANG!! Back in the box - heading to the UPS store tomorrow to return it!

Will_T

Reaction score
An old thread here had the following comment:

They now sell battery disconnects they are like small relays. They go in the fob and after 10 mins of inactivity they go to sleep but if you press a key or it detects motion it activates and completes the battery circuit. This is to defeat these type of thefts.

I can not find anything like this. Anyone know if it is correct? I would even pay for new FOBs, (including for my wife's Subaru), to get this functionality.

ldoh

Reaction score
I bought an Amazon Ticonn faraday pouch about a year ago and it still works perfectly. Placing the fob inside the pouch and pressing fob buttons, the truck doesn't respond.

Maybe new users aren't placing the fob inside the pouch correctly? There's two layers of different material with the inner most silver colored material doing the magic. I'm betting they put inserted the fob outside the silver material.

Drewster

Reaction score
Update - went on Amazon and ordered a Faraday box for the house. TinConn brand. It arrived and looked pretty good. Put my cell phone in it - closed it - called it - IT RANG!! Back in the box - heading to the UPS store tomorrow to return it!
Your cell phone uses signals an order of magnitude higher and at a different frequency than your key FOB. Probably too late, but you should be trying these Amazon products out with the FOB, not your phone for a fair test.
An old thread here had the following comment:

I can not find anything like this. Anyone know if it is correct? I would even pay for new FOBs, (including for my wife's Subaru), to get this functionality.
Motion deactivates the kill switch? If an attacker walks up to your vehicle with a relay box, wouldn't it just kick power on and still allow this to happen?

All in all, tin box seems like a good solution..

Techna

Reaction score
Your cell phone uses signals an order of magnitude higher and at a different frequency than your key FOB. Probably too late, but you should be trying these Amazon products out with the FOB, not your phone for a fair test.

Motion deactivates the kill switch? If an attacker walks up to your vehicle with a relay box, wouldn't it just kick power on and still allow this to happen?

All in all, tin box seems like a good solution..
I think he’s saying that there’s a micro kill switch in the fob that deactivates it after a certain amount if inactivity so that it’s less likely to be cloned while it sitting on the counter at home? If so, that’s brilliant.

MeOff

Reaction score
I think he’s saying that there’s a micro kill switch in the fob that deactivates it after a certain amount if inactivity so that it’s less likely to be cloned while it sitting on the counter at home? If so, that’s brilliant.
I wrap fobs with tin foil to avert clone'g. I rarely use the fob to lock/unlock. I use passive entry upon getting in and always use the interior lock switch when exiting or otherwise. I also disabled the horn/lights so no one knows what I'm doing!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just rig a claymore to the truck. Whoops. that would destroy the truck... :oops:
NM.:p

Will_T

Reaction score
Yes, that is how I read the original post. The two Ford cars have that from the factory. But someone posted that they now sell battery disconnect relays you can insert into the FOB. That is what I was looking for and could not find. I was hoping the person who posted that would come back and tell us where to get them.

Drewster

Reaction score
Yes, that is how I read the original post. The two Ford cars have that from the factory. But someone posted that they now sell battery disconnect relays you can insert into the FOB. That is what I was looking for and could not find. I was hoping the person who posted that would come back and tell us where to get them.
As long as they don't use the same frequency as your key fob...

Users who are viewing this thread