5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock suspension and tires vs upgrade

JoeRam

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of help here and certainly apologize if this has been discussed. I have done searches but most results refer to lifts and such.
'22 Laramie Sport, everything stock at the moment with the Junk Bridgestone tires. I am considering either dumping the truck for the way it rides, Honestly my '21 2500 Limited rode nicer that this. Call me old at 65 and want something a lot less bouncy and stop the BS roll of it, and wondering what a few improvements might make and be worth keeping it.
Considering Pirelli or Continental tires, and either Fox or Bilstein shocks and maybe a sway bar as I am reading some of the benefits of them. I drive on some very narrow windy roads in PA and as this truck sits, its mostly a chore with the ride and how it handles.

Anyways I am looking for some feedback from those who have done similar, what you used and do you feel it was worth it?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you concerned with the truck's poor handling & body control in the twisties, or its poor ride comfort over bumps etc., or both?

Tires aren't likely to help with the wallow, more so adhesion which I doubt you're running up against.

JoeRam

Reaction score
@CalvinC Yes to all the above. Not so worried about the wallow. The truck sways and bounces all over. I do know tires will improve the ride, just not sure if going the extra mile with shocks and all make a drastic improvement, and do tires even make a drastic improvement ??

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to say I'm surprised to hear the truck's ride comfort be indicted... that's usually what draws the rave reviews on this platform. Wonder if there could be an issue worth investigating? Shocks do sometimes come from the factory "blown" (like on all Fords... I kid... mostly); poor rebound & control can trash ride comfort.

Aside from that, unlikely you can drastically improve on ride comfort - e.g. day-to-day impact absorption etc. with aftermarket shocks (big hits are another story).

But you can most definitely improve control, and for a lot of people including myself, eliminating porpoising and excessive lean or tire movement does translate to increased comfort.

Tires also play a big role in ride comfort, but I'd start out verifying pressures in the tires before considering swapping tires. That topic is like oil, and you'll get a million answers. Then see if you can get the re-balanced & checked for roundness.

Are these the stock tires?

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of help here and certainly apologize if this has been discussed. I have done searches but most results refer to lifts and such.
'22 Laramie Sport, everything stock at the moment with the Junk Bridgestone tires. I am considering either dumping the truck for the way it rides, Honestly my '21 2500 Limited rode nicer that this. Call me old at 65 and want something a lot less bouncy and stop the BS roll of it, and wondering what a few improvements might make and be worth keeping it.
Considering Pirelli or Continental tires, and either Fox or Bilstein shocks and maybe a sway bar as I am reading some of the benefits of them. I drive on some very narrow windy roads in PA and as this truck sits, its mostly a chore with the ride and how it handles.

Anyways I am looking for some feedback from those who have done similar, what you used and do you feel it was worth it?

A Hellwig sway bar will help tremendously with the body roll/sway. I installed mine on the stiffest setting and it is a night/day difference from stock. I also replaced my stock ORG front shocks/springs with Bilstein 6112’s on their highest setting (circlip 8) and am very pleased with how they handle. The ride is slightly firmer than stock but much more stable over bumps and curves. Can’t speak for Pirelli or Continental tires as I have Cooper AT3 XLT’s, but I will say mine ride incredibly well for a 10-ply.

JoeRam

Reaction score
I have to say I'm surprised to hear the truck's ride comfort be indicted... that's usually what draws the rave reviews on this platform. Wonder if there could be an issue worth investigating? Shocks do sometimes come from the factory "blown" (like on all Fords... I kid... mostly); poor rebound & control can trash ride comfort.

Aside from that, unlikely you can drastically improve on ride comfort - e.g. day-to-day impact absorption etc. with aftermarket shocks (big hits are another story).

But you can most definitely improve control, and for a lot of people including myself, eliminating porpoising and excessive lean or tire movement does translate to increased comfort.

Tires also play a big role in ride comfort, but I'd start out verifying pressures in the tires before considering swapping tires. That topic is like oil, and you'll get a million answers. Then see if you can get the re-balanced & checked for roundness.

Are these the stock tires?
Yes, Stock Bridgestone Dueller

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My stock Duellers rode very very nice. Traction however sucked. I put 50K on them with no ride quality issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online