5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Lug Nuts: 7/8 or 22mm?

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a non marring impact socket with the plastic sleeve for my stock 22" night edition wheels. Can someone please confirm the proper size of the lug nuts? Some threads mention 22mm and others 7/8.

Attachments

• external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 16

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s 22mm since the studs are metric (14x1.5). HOWEVER, you can use either and be fine as 7/8 is ever so slightly larger than 22mm. The way sockets and wrenches are made inexactly (for lack of a better term), 7/8 socket will fit 22mm and vice-versa. There are a few other sizes that get close enough for interchanging sizes also.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was using a 22mm until I took it to discount and they slightly messed up a few using a 7/8 on an impact gun. I just bought all black lug nuts size 22mm. They aren't the factory acorn lugs with caps on them.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was using a 22mm until I took it to discount and they slightly messed up a few using a 7/8 on an impact gun. I just bought all black lug nuts size 22mm. They aren't the factory acorn lugs with caps on them.
Yeah, it's exactly why I asked. As @djevox mentioned above, the 7/8 is slightly larger, and I want to avoid messing up my stock nuts :p

I'm getting the 22mm then. Thanks guys (y)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it's exactly why I asked. As @djevox mentioned above, the 7/8 is slightly larger, and I want to avoid messing up my stock nuts :p

Yep, I totally understand. That all depends on how accurately sized the fastener is and how new the socket or wrench is. A slightly worn 7/8ths socket will eat a worn lugnut faster than a brand new one on a brand new lugnut. When repairing vehicles, a lot of times it comes down to experience in feeling out whether something is going to get stripped or not and acting appropriately for that scenario.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the 22mm powerbuilt socket. Can't seem to find one, other brands yes. Don't know anything about the quality of any of them, including the one you listed.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the 22mm powerbuilt socket. Can't seem to find one, other brands yes. Don't know anything about the quality of any of them, including the one you listed.
Sorry no. I just did a quick search and attached that image as an example.

This is where I got it from, but it's OOS ... https://www.overstock.com/Home-Gard...eve-Wheel-Impact-Socket/15861912/product.html

This one looks to have good reviews ... https://smile.amazon.com/Titan-Tool...qid=1642124434&sprefix=22mm+im,aps,405&sr=8-7

$5 more for a 4 pack with 4.5stars reviews ... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product..._title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3MHPGGH6845WK&th=1

Last edited:

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing up the topic/issue. Never would of thought of a non marring socket. Great idea IMO

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing up the topic/issue. Never would of thought of a non marring socket. Great idea IMO
I saw an endcap at Pep Boys with at least a few dozen non-marring sockets. Not sure if you have them in Georgia though.

Users who are viewing this thread