5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock exhaust got louder as it broke in

jkratze1

Reaction score
I've noticed that the stock exhaust has gotten louder since the truck has been broken in. I've got 6100 miles and it is quite a bit louder than I remember when driving it off the lot and during the first few thousand miles. I think most exhaust systems get louder after break in and the stock exhaust is no exception. I like the way it sounds and I am not sure I will get an aftermarket exhaust now. Anyone else notice this?

geotex1

Reaction score
Carbon build up and heat cycling of the metal does change the harmonics. Usually you will notice a more mellow, deeper sound.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed that the stock exhaust has gotten louder since the truck has been broken in. I've got 6100 miles and it is quite a bit louder than I remember when driving it off the lot and during the first few thousand miles. I think most exhaust systems get louder after break in and the stock exhaust is no exception. I like the way it sounds and I am not sure I will get an aftermarket exhaust now. Anyone else notice this?
Only have 3100 and hoping it does change as it breaks in. I like it now and will love it if it gets throatier(probably not a word).

Jordan2929

Reaction score
We had a 50º day here in central ny for the first time in months, I rolled down all the windows and remembered just how good these hemi's sound!!

jkratze1

Reaction score
It does sound sweet.
We had a 50º day here in central ny for the first time in months, I rolled down all the windows and remembered just how good these hemi's sound!!

It is a good sounding engine for sure. Even with the stock exhaust, I love to hear her cold start and accelerate on the highway. Yet if I am cruising on the highway and MDS kicks in she is as quiet as a luxury car.

Agitated

Reaction score
It isn't a glass pack. There's nothing to break in on a stock exhaust. You are probably just getting used to it.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure about the 5th gens but on the 4th gens the resonators had what looks like spun fiberglass insulation in the body of the resonator, even though the exhaust path was straight through.

Bboyce536

Reaction score
6700 miles on mine and its funny that I just told my buddy the same thing the other day. It does seem a tad louder. I had thought that maybe I'm just used to it more now, either way the hemi sounds great compared to my previous GM sowing machines.

Users who are viewing this thread