5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock bed rail covers and tailgate cap is/are soft easy to damage. What is anyone doing as a replacement or a fix?

MarkD

Reaction score
Hi,

Back in '21 the '05 1500 died and I had to go out and buy something off of the lot. So I've gone from a 6-1/2 foot bed to the 5 foot 7 bed. This means more of the longer items (wood, metal etc) now rest on the gate cove. ...and since Ram was nice enough to make these out of a softer ABS... These things are scratching up quickly/easily. What has anyone done to help this? ...aftermarket caps or hitting the stockers with Line-x??? I have to admit that my '05 had Line-X on the rails and tailgate. So they could take a beating.

Thanks,

Mark

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you've answered your own question there. Bed liner works great for that.

jws1982

Reaction score
You got it. High-use of those plastics will damage them for sure. Any adhered or spray-on barrier like line-x would help.

To pull an idea from the r/c car area, clear lexan held down with shoe goo would work well too. It’d also have a good chance to come off cleanly later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread