5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock air box

19RebelZ

Reaction score
Yesterday I change the drop in filter too an K&N and noticed in the throttle body side (top half) there appears to be a filter type material attached. What purpose does that serve? I don’t recall having that on the ‘15 EcoDiesel or any other vehicle for that matter. I have Hemi e-torque if that matters. Thanks

Attachments

• 497E1DEA-BD61-45DA-9AC3-D52924AF6C95.jpeg
    497E1DEA-BD61-45DA-9AC3-D52924AF6C95.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 329

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yesterday I change the drop in filter too an K&N and noticed in the throttle body side (top half) there appears to be a filter type material attached. What purpose does that serve? I don’t recall having that on the ‘15 EcoDiesel or any other vehicle for that matter. I have Hemi e-torque if that matters. Thanks
Interesting. Seems to be additional filtering. Assuming it's removable?

19RebelZ

Reaction score
Interesting. Seems to be additional filtering. Assuming it's removable?
Everything is removable, just wondering if there’s additional restriction to the air flow or if removing it would provide any realistic impact. One would think with a good quality air filter or changes at regular intervals it wouldn’t be needed.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe it is just a silencer pad. There was a post here or on another forum about it. If you remove it you may see a slight increase in intake noise, but it serves no purpose other than that.

19RebelZ

Reaction score
I believe it is just a silencer pad. There was a post here or on another forum about it. If you remove it you may see a slight increase in intake noise, but it serves no purpose other than that.
I looked on here didn’t see anything, makes sense, kind of. I’ll keep it in there for now maybe somebody else will be the guinea pig. There’s always the good ole turbonator. Lol

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked on here didn’t see anything, makes sense, kind of. I’ll keep it in there for now maybe somebody else will be the guinea pig. There’s always the good ole turbonator. Lol
The guy had taken it out. May have been on the other forum. Didn't give him any issues.

jmr

Reaction score
I did a write up here on taking the silencer pad out. It doesn't hurt to remove it just a slight increase with induction sound.

768mph

Reaction score
I did a write up here on taking the silencer pad out. It doesn't hurt to remove it just a slight increase with induction sound.
Is it reversible?
I want more induction sound and have to wait until S&B to come out with an intake.
How is it affixed?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a air emissions filter. The back flow of emissions out of intake/ crank case to grab oil vapors/droplets. It’s restrictive and serves no other purpose but to do as I’ve described. Get rid of it asap especially if your doing a bypass/catch can set up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My wife's Subaru Crosstrek had (past tense) secondary filter line what you describe in the OP. When I installed the K&N drop-in in her Subi, I clipped off the plastic rivets fro the secondary filter and it increased the noticible effect and sound with the K&N over stock. If ever need be, I'll put it back in with plastic rivets available at Harbor Freight.

Now I know my 19 Ram has one.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine is out..screwdriver works to pry/pop the heat rivets and it comes right out clean. only did one highway trip, looks like it might be .5 mpg difference..more testing to follow.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 9.45.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 9.45.29 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 136

Rumblebee77

Reaction score
mine is out..screwdriver works to pry/pop the heat rivets and it comes right out clean. only did one highway trip, looks like it might be .5 mpg difference..more testing to follow.
Hi there, how has the truck been driving since you took out the extra filter in the box?

Rumblebee77

Reaction score
Drives the same. I’ve had the charcoal filter removed for years and added a K&N drop in air filter.
Cool thanks for getting back to me, I'll take it out nicely that way I can put it back in if I take it in for service that way they don't give me any trouble for it while it's under warranty. It's got to help with gas mileage a little bit, I don't think it would make it worse

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Once you remove it you can’t put it back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I removed mine by sliding a paint can opener under the "rivited" areas and popping it off. It was a clean enough job that I thought at the time I could put it back in if I needed to. Now if I only new where I put that thing......😀

DW1500

Reaction score
I removed mine by sliding a paint can opener under the "rivited" areas and popping it off. It was a clean enough job that I thought at the time I could put it back in if I needed to. Now if I only new where I put that thing......😀
I just removed mine. I got the inevitable CEL P0456 code. It’s ot I was getting 15-16mpg, once removed 18 -19 mpg. That’s a huge difference. Stock filter. Any ideas on how to keep it from coding without it?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just removed mine. I got the inevitable CEL P0456 code. It’s ot I was getting 15-16mpg, once removed 18 -19 mpg. That’s a huge difference. Stock filter. Any ideas on how to keep it from coding without it?
Mine never triggered a CEL after I did this. Any chance you knocked a vacuum line loose?

Users who are viewing this thread