5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still Finagling...

Reaction score
With 2021 stock dwindling and 2022 stripping us of many of our options choices, I still haven't given up yet. I have found a couple of 2021 Laramie candidates with a lot of the options that I want. But none of them have the multifunction tailgate.

I know that it was a complicated and prohibitively expensive swap on say a 2019, but does anyone know if that is still true on a 2021? Could I theoretically get ahold of a tailgate and swap it for a standard one?

Can a 23 gallon fuel tank be swapped out for the 33?

I'm feeling that last thirsty guy at the party lol.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Nothing has changed. It's still going to be VERY expensive unless you were "lucky" enough to find a wrecked truck somewhere with the MFTG on it in your body color. It mounts the same to the truck itself so no issues there. (I don't know if the electrical connector is the same or not)

As for the fuel tank not saying impossible but probably more trouble than it's worth. Fuel sender is going to be different, not sure if cluster is calibrated for a particular fuel tank size or not....if it's an EcoDiesel then you've got the DEF tank to contend with although I think a lions share of the ED trucks are spec'ed with the 33 gallon tank to give INCREDIBLE range per fill!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a thread on here about retrofitting tanks. It’s fairly complicated, and requires changing settings in the on-board computer. Do a search for it.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Reaction score
I found a dealer about 3 hours away that has a Laramie Night Edition that has ALMOST everything I want.

It's only has a 26 gallon tank, which I guess I can live with.

It doesn't have a limited slip or electronic lock rear end. I don't know if I can let that go...I love the LSD in my 2011 Ram. It has held up well too. Even yesterday, it gave a little chirp when I made a turn in a fresh asphalt parking lot.

It is also missing the Protection Package (skid plates). I'm going to see if I can buy that direct from Ram and install it myself, or if the dealer might do it.

Thanks for all the information and help.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I found a dealer about 3 hours away that has a Laramie Night Edition that has ALMOST everything I want.

It's only has a 26 gallon tank, which I guess I can live with.

It doesn't have a limited slip or electronic lock rear end. I don't know if I can let that go...I love the LSD in my 2011 Ram. It has held up well too. Even yesterday, it gave a little chirp when I made a turn in a fresh asphalt parking lot.

It is also missing the Protection Package (skid plates). I'm going to see if I can buy that direct from Ram and install it myself, or if the dealer might do it.

Thanks for all the information and help.
FWIW, my advice (from previous experience more than once) is don't settle if you don't have to-wait for what you want. When I bought my 2020 Limited off the lot I was slightly "exasperated" and annoyed that I couldn't order the Longhorn I desired the way I wanted. I also knew there were features for MY21 at the time such as 360 camera view on the TT mirror equipped trucks and DRVM/HUD that I was foregoing. I LOVED that truck but it bothered me EVERY time I drove it that it was missing those features. That's why I checked ALL the boxes I wanted (and even a couple extra "just because") on this truck I have on order to make it exactly what I want. For the price these things cost spending the extra 5% and waiting for it is worth it in the long run IMHO.

Last edited:
Reaction score
FWIW, my advice (from previous experience more than once) is don't settle if you don't have to-wait for what you want. When I bought my 2020 Limited off the lot I was slightly "exasperated" and annoyed that I couldn't order the Longhorn I desired the way I wanted. I also knew there were features for MY21 at the time such as 360 camera view on the TT mirror equipped trucks and DRVM/HUD that I was foregoing. I LOVED that truck but it bothered me EVERY time I drove the truck that it was missing those features. That's why I checked ALL the boxes I wanted (and even a couple extras "just because") on this truck I have on order to make it exactly what I want. For the price these things cost spending the extra 5% and waiting for it is worth it in the long run IMHO.
The dealer is actually getting the truck next month, so I have a bit of wait time for other options to arise. If they can change the rear to LSD, I won't sweat the gas tank, and I can do the other stuff myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online