5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stereo system suggestions needed

etroquehemi17

Reaction score
I'm have multiple issues surrounding a system I've installed over the weekend. My build for crew cab 2021 hemi ram base stereo is as follows:
Infinity reference speakers for all doors, 1 amp for all door speakers, and 1 amp for 1 10" 500w sub. I used a LOC under the drivers seat (DS-18). My problems are as follows:
The LOC is a mess. I can't figure out how to cleanly install this under the drivers seat with the ANC there. I wanted to locate it back by the amplifiers but I ended up going underneath due to the proximity of the anc bypass harness. Works for now but looks like hot garbage.

Issue #2 : My amp Installed on plywood underneath rear passengers seat is too tall, and wont let the seat rest the entire way. (I guess my dry fit was wrong) Should I replace with thinner plywood, or install 1" seat lift modification? Is this mod too tall for rear passengers?(headroom)

Issue #3 : The DS-18 LOC has signal sensing. That being said anytime I open the doors I can hear fuzzy in the radio until it decides to shut down. Mostly just annoying. Any input or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
20230724_072844.jpg

Attachments

• 20230724_072859.jpg
    20230724_072859.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 21

805myth1

Reaction score
I'm have multiple issues surrounding a system I've installed over the weekend. My build for crew cab 2021 hemi ram base stereo is as follows:
Infinity reference speakers for all doors, 1 amp for all door speakers, and 1 amp for 1 10" 500w sub. I used a LOC under the drivers seat (DS-18). My problems are as follows:
The LOC is a mess. I can't figure out how to cleanly install this under the drivers seat with the ANC there. I wanted to locate it back by the amplifiers but I ended up going underneath due to the proximity of the anc bypass harness. Works for now but looks like hot garbage.

Issue #2 : My amp Installed on plywood underneath rear passengers seat is too tall, and wont let the seat rest the entire way. (I guess my dry fit was wrong) Should I replace with thinner plywood, or install 1" seat lift modification? Is this mod too tall for rear passengers?(headroom)

Issue #3 : The DS-18 LOC has signal sensing. That being said anytime I open the doors I can hear fuzzy in the radio until it decides to shut down. Mostly just annoying. Any input or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

First I would ditch the ds18 loc and go with a different method. I used the Rockford Fosgate DSR1, which is plug and play and removes the acn/ factory amplifier completely, so all speakers are on aftermarket amplifiers. There is also the PAC amp pro, which works like a loc but also comes with plug and play harnesses so you can get a clean signal. Third option, since you don’t have a “premium” audio system, is use a dsp with hi level inputs so you can tune the sound to how you like.

As for the amplifier mounting, I placed a 3/4” mdf board behind the carpet of the back wall to keep them out of the way. You don’t need a seat lift unless you plan to install a taller sub box. You can simply unbolt the single rear seat to get access.

IMG_3224.jpeg

etroquehemi17

Reaction score
That
First I would ditch the ds18 loc and go with a different method. I used the Rockford Fosgate DSR1, which is plug and play and removes the acn/ factory amplifier completely, so all speakers are on aftermarket amplifiers. There is also the PAC amp pro, which works like a loc but also comes with plug and play harnesses so you can get a clean signal. Third option, since you don’t have a “premium” audio system, is use a dsp with hi level inputs so you can tune the sound to how you like.

As for the amplifier mounting, I placed a 3/4” mdf board behind the carpet of the back wall to keep them out of the way. You don’t need a seat lift unless you plan to install a taller sub box. You can simply unbolt the single rear seat to get access.

View attachment 163710
Drs1 was 350 bucks, so ouch. Do you have etorque? I have a huge battery back there behind the single seat (etorque hemi)so I seemed to run out of room to mount on the back wall except a small portion on the 70 split. I have 1 amp on the back wall behind the RR passenger, but maybe I'll look at it again to see if there's more room to sit the second amp beside it.(I remember having some sort of issue fitting 2 of them) thanks for the input man.

805myth1

Reaction score
That

Drs1 was 350 bucks, so ouch. Do you have etorque? I have a huge battery back there behind the single seat (etorque hemi)so I seemed to run out of room to mount on the back wall except a small portion on the 70 split. I have 1 amp on the back wall behind the RR passenger, but maybe I'll look at it again to see if there's more room to sit the second amp beside it.(I remember having some sort of issue fitting 2 of them) thanks for the input man.

No Etorque in my truck but I have seen others place their amplifiers on that side as well.

IMG_3267.jpeg

And yes to get a clean audio signal from these trucks you’re going to need to spend a little, but if you’re serious about your sound system then it’s definitely worth the investment. If my truck didn’t come with the alpine system then I would have gone with a dsp with hi level inputs without having to use a loc or the DSR1.

Last edited:

AngryAce

Reaction score
a PAC AMPPro is the best and easiest plug and play device for our trucks. retains all the chimes, nav, steering wheel controls. ect. You will need the ANC bypass harness as well. Then you can have clean low level outputs for amps (F, R and Sub) or a toslink output for DSPs. You are undoubtedly getting bass roll off from that LOC unless it has accubass type summing like an Audio Control LOC. You can also buy an AMP rack for the etorque equipped trucks at soundsgoodstereo.com as well as next level speaker adapters and other gear specifically designed for Ram trucks.

Like others have said, spend the extra money for the better gear You will be much happier with the result.

Users who are viewing this thread