5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis fires hundreds of engineers

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wrong. i never stepped foot onto a college campus let alone get a license and i am a Controls Engineer (exact title) currently.
I see the word everywhere - even in my business (construction), some companies use the term “construction engineer” for an entry level project management trainee. that doesn’t make it legal, nor does your company calling you a controls engineer.
The only time I get upset about it is when people go overboard, like using the term “customer experience engineer”.
All that said, I’ve only seen the law enforced when someone is busted for other issues - and this one gets thrown in.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I see the word everywhere - even in my business (construction), some companies use the term “construction engineer” for an entry level project management trainee. that doesn’t make it legal, nor does your company calling you a controls engineer.
The only time I get upset about it is when people go overboard, like using the term “customer experience engineer”.
All that said, I’ve only seen the law enforced when someone is busted for other issues - and this one gets thrown in.
Yes i do agree people make stuff up and i can see how that would be annoying. Ive heard someone tell me he was a "Maintenance Engineer" i literally laughed in his face and said what tf that lol so yes you are correct. but again... not always the case. Before getting into this position and company 11 months ago, i was a Electrical Engineer (one of which you stated was illegal to claim?), my exact title and again no degree or license, i will admit i have a few Certs for PLC, Electrical, Coding but no legit qualifications. I do hear what your saying though bro b.c it is annoying when folks work their *** off for that and then they go and make sh*t up.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What about a janitor? Do they have to have a license to be called a custodial engineer?
I think every single job title in existence can be called some kind of engineer, that’s why when people try to make an argument, and start off by saying “I’m an engineer…” (as if that’s going to solidify their argument), it means absolutely nothing to me.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree the word is over used for job titles. Just as they have changed many titles to stroke people's egos. Got to love those marketing geniuses.

cpetku

Reaction score
I'm not from California. Anyway, looks job title and professional services to the public is different things. So, we are both right. Legally without certification, I cannot offer software engineering services to the public. But my internal job title is fine as long as the company isn't "selling" me as one without certification. The issue is with being minimalized because I engineer software.

On a side note, I never liked the title anyway. With over 40 years of software development experience, I have had almost every title.
After our company was acquired, my VP's limited HR skills resulted in appointing all of his direct reports as Global Chief Engineer of ... for the product line he had responsibility of. I hated the title as it implied too much, but my peers embraced it. Since I had direct reports as well, I simply referred to myself as a manager after that point since I really couldn't affect (Global) work processes done by design engineers on the product line in other countries. Sometimes I would introduce myself as the Janitor (in charge of cleaning up stuff). The quiet guy who makes things right is is sometimes more important but almost always under appreciated.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hated the title as it implied too much, but my peers embraced it. Since I had direct reports as well, I simply referred to myself as a manager after that point since I really couldn't affect (Global) work processes done by design engineers on the product line in other countries.

I remember middle management. Where you get to fire people who do good work and bite your tongue when forced to incorporate bad designs in your own projects.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I think we can all admit and agree on this part to end this thread....
we dont give a fat baby d*ck about titles, means nearly nothing now a days as some said. Its mostly for folks egos b.c there salty they are in massive debt for getting a paper with their name on it and justifying they are "smarter" because of it not realizing "Education does not mean Intelligence", and also not realizing some of us make just as much or more than them. From my experience most who care about titles are * usually * absolute sh*t workers and bounce around jobs b.c of it and try to chase money knowing they are not good at much. I know for a fact idgaf what my title is tbh. If im getting paid great money and have great benefits, my title can be whatever you want it to be. Talent and resume should speak for itself. Not "im an engineer", cool bud, so is everyone else.

ram0686

Reaction score
You can do engineering work, but your not a licensed engineer. Just as in land surveying. You can survey, but your not a licensed surveyor. So when somebody tells you they're a engineer / land surveyor just ask for their license number! But remember, some of the best in industry are not licensed too!

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can do engineering work, but your not an licensed engineer. Just as in land surveying. You can survey, but you not a licensed surveyor. So when somebody tells you they're a engineer / land surveyor just ask for their number!
There is no such thing as a "licensed engineer" in the IT industry.
I have paid certifications that request training and testing that list me as an engineer, but this "licensed engineer" does not.

I don't get why this is hard for some people to understand.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just jumping in on the off-topic discussion as another "non-licensed" engineer. Two Biomedical Engineering degrees from an accredited university, decade+ experience being an engineer, never needed a license. Even with that Texas statute if you're working for a private employer and not providing services to the public or working outside the scope of your employ you can call yourself an engineer and say you perform engineering work as long as you don't fulfill a role that would require a licensed engineer (professional engineer, etc).

For all intents and purposes, I am an engineer, I just don't perform engineering services to the public or do things requiring a licensed engineer. My company specifically has those that will sign off when required.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread