5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel volume control hack?

Drumnut14

Reaction score
Anyone ever looked into changing the volume controls to the left side steering wheel instead of right, first vehicle I’ve owned not on same side as station controls. Got to be a wire swap somewhere?

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good idea. Stupid to have the volume on the radio side of the steering wheel. I'll be curious if this is doable.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Good idea. Stupid to have the volume on the radio side of the steering wheel. I'll be curious if this is doable.
I wish ....if I was dreaming..... that that we could swap all of the controls on the steering wheel from left to right and vice versa.... I would much rather have all the cruise control buttons on the left hand side because usually when I'm driving with one hand it is my left hand.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
First world problems are the worst. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You could do this but you'd need to modify the wiring inside the steering wheel. I've taken them apart, and there is no extra slack in the existing wiring in the steering wheel, so you'd probably need to add length to the wires. Then you'd want to secure the wires so they don't get pinched when you put it back together and install it. I have a spare Laramie wheel I might mess with if I get some spare time. But that's low on my to do list LOL.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
First world problems are the worst. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You could do this but you'd need to modify the wiring inside the steering wheel. I've taken them apart, and there is no extra slack in the existing wiring in the steering wheel, so you'd probably need to add length to the wires. Then you'd want to secure the wires so they don't get pinched when you put it back together and install it. I have a spare Laramie wheel I might mess with if I get some spare time. But that's low on my to do list LOL.
I'm sure it can be done wiring wise but I'm a geek enough that I would want all my buttons to be proper as well so then you would have to have buttons custom made to go on the opposite side of the steering wheel.... Overall there are VERY few things that bug me about a RAM this is just one minor annoyance that I can put up with...

Users who are viewing this thread