5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

steering wheel upgrade

PapaSmurf

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a 21 Power Wagon and am very happy with it, but one of the things that bug me is that the steering wheel is so thin. I came out of a 14 Jeep GC and the wheel was a lot thicker.

Does anyone know if there is RAM pickup version that has a thick padded leather (or wood) steering wheel? I am not afraid of tracing wiring to make the buttons work correctly.

Thanks,

Arman

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a 21 Power Wagon and am very happy with it, but one of the things that bug me is that the steering wheel is so thin. I came out of a 14 Jeep GC and the wheel was a lot thicker.

Does anyone know if there is RAM pickup version that has a thick padded leather (or wood) steering wheel? I am not afraid of tracing wiring to make the buttons work correctly.

Thanks,

Arman
Limited and Longhorn models have wood inserts on the steering wheel. I swapped a 2020 Longhorn wheel into my 2020 Laramie and it feels more substantial than the original all leather wheel felt. I would suggest just taking a look at a Limited or Longhorn on a dealer lot and feel it for yourself. Or you could always add a steering wheel cover.

PapaSmurf

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I will look for the Longhorn/Limited wheel.

Meanwhile, if anyone wants to trad a mint black leather one for one with the woodgrain at the top, I would be interested.

JMGesling

Reaction score
I've got a 19 1500 Classic, and read somewhere you can grab a Rebel steering wheel and replace. I don't have the tuning/volume controls on my steering wheel...would like to save money and maybe get a cooler looking wheel with the audio controls if I can. still trying to research if that's possible...and still researching AlphaOBD to see what the heck that thing does and if it's worth the price.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've got a 19 1500 Classic, and read somewhere you can grab a Rebel steering wheel and replace. I don't have the tuning/volume controls on my steering wheel...would like to save money and maybe get a cooler looking wheel with the audio controls if I can. still trying to research if that's possible...and still researching AlphaOBD to see what the heck that thing does and if it's worth the price.
Since your truck is a 1500 classic, that means it's a 4th gen. I haven't read anything about whether 4th gen steering wheels are swappable with 5th gens, and vice-versa. You might have better luck in the 4th gen forum.

As for AlphaOBD, you can start with their website.
There is lots of info out there about it if you do a search on it.

Users who are viewing this thread