5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Wheel Rattle Sound

jman307

Reaction score
Howdy! So, first road trip with the new Laramie 1500 4x4 5.7 3.21 sport package. Only have 1500 miles on the truck but am noticing that shallow bumps on the highway make an almost snare drum like rattle within the steering wheel itself. It lasts only as long as the bump does, I have no rattle issues with slower spreads or deeper dumps. Any thoughts?

Beddow05

Reaction score
Howdy! So, first road trip with the new Laramie 1500 4x4 5.7 3.21 sport package. Only have 1500 miles on the truck but am noticing that shallow bumps on the highway make an almost snare drum like rattle within the steering wheel itself. It lasts only as long as the bump does, I have no rattle issues with slower spreads or deeper dumps. Any thoughts?
I am having the same issue , same truck as you. I think there is something loose in the shaft or the housing for the horn/airbag.Keep me posted on what you find out at the dealer and I’ll do the same for you. Also do you have any excessive vibration in the steering wheel ?

jman307

Reaction score
I am having the same issue , same truck as you. I think there is something loose in the shaft or the housing for the horn/airbag.Keep me posted on what you find out at the dealer and I’ll do the same for you. Also do you have any excessive vibration in the steering wheel ?
I don’t have any excessive vibration in the steering wheel however I do need the have them check alignment. It is nice and tight turning left and feels soft turning right with a slight drift to right going straight.

Alex2014

Reaction score
Hi, I have the same problem I don’t know can I do. I go to the dealer but the technician can’t find.

Alex2014

Reaction score
Hi, I have the same problem. Can you find the problem? Because the technician don’t find.

Charp

Reaction score
Did you ever solve the steering wheel rattle? I experience the exact same thing and appears to be getting stronger. I looked everywhere and it seems to be inside the airbag assembly... Thanks.

Alex2014

Reaction score
Did you ever solve the steering wheel rattle? I experience the exact same thing and appears to be getting stronger. I looked everywhere and it seems to be inside the airbag assembly... Thanks.
I have with this problem 1 year. Dealer don’t want to spend time in a rattle. I think is very difficult to find the problem. It’s very frustrating because I work hard for Pay my truck. My truck steering Work fine but when hit a bump or drive in a affected highway Make a rattle noise coming from The steering stem. If I turn to the right it makes a grinding noise coming near the steering. Some people say it is the rack and pinion but the steering work fine. The noise i hear is metal to metal. Please if someone have this problem and fixed, help !

Charp

Reaction score
I figured out the rattle!!! It was actually coming from the shift lock transmission release cable under the dash. The cable rattles inside the black plastic tube/housing. I wrapped a wire tie around it and secured it to the other wires close to it; basically creating more tension inside the tube and thus stopping the rattle!!!

--The cable runs from the shift lock handle shown in video below and through a white round foam disc, then the firewall.

Alex2014

Reaction score
I figured out the rattle!!! It was actually coming from the shift lock transmission release cable under the dash. The cable rattles inside the black plastic tube/housing. I wrapped a wire tie around it and secured it to the other wires close to it; basically creating more tension inside the tube and thus stopping the rattle!!!

--The cable runs from the shift lock handle shown in video below and through a white round foam disc, then the firewall.
Hi, please can you post a picture to see the process. Can you please record a video.

AZHUND

Reaction score

I am hopeful this works - just got back from a trip that had a lot of broken and/or dirt roads so was driving me nuts. Mine didn't look like a tube - was more a black plastic ring. But it was the only plastic on metal that I could find under there that would cause the metallic noise I keep hearing. Did a zip tie to pull it back, but am tired after the trip so probably won't get to drive it anywhere that would previously cause that rattle until next weekend. Will come back to report if it worked.

RebelAzula

Reaction score
I am hopeful this works - just got back from a trip that had a lot of broken and/or dirt roads so was driving me nuts. Mine didn't look like a tube - was more a black plastic ring. But it was the only plastic on metal that I could find under there that would cause the metallic noise I keep hearing. Did a zip tie to pull it back, but am tired after the trip so probably won't get to drive it anywhere that would previously cause that rattle until next weekend. Will come back to report if it worked.
Did the zip tie fix yours? If so can you share a pic of what you zip tied?

jreusink

Reaction score
Do you think it could be caused by the cable inside the plastic sheath for the hood release. It's the only thing I can really get to buzz when knocking around.

Bigga826

Reaction score
Do you think it could be caused by the cable inside the plastic sheath for the hood release. It's the only thing I can really get to buzz when knocking around.
Guys have someone drive and you sit in the passenger side and put your ear near the shifter. This was my rattle, put foam under the shifter with the panel off and then put the panel back on which created some tension on the shifter and it stopped.

PMWIGGINS

Reaction score
So basically what we are figuring out is there are rattles coming from every damn thing in these crappy trucks.

jreusink

Reaction score
Guys have someone drive and you sit in the passenger side and put your ear near the shifter. This was my rattle, put foam under the shifter with the panel off and then put the panel back on which created some tension on the shifter and it stopped.
How did you get the panel off?

Bigga826

Reaction score
How did you get the panel off?
Take radio off, then take off the panel over the shifter. It's all clips except for the 2 screws on top of the radio under the little rubber mat thing on dashboard.

ShafferDB

Reaction score
So I have a 2021 with all the same options and I’m experiencing this...did you ever find a fix?

jman307

Reaction score
So I have a 2021 with all the same options and I’m experiencing this...did you ever find a fix?
I just had my truck in for a USB module replacement and also had them look at the rattle. Tech said he pulled the clock spring and housing and inspected and reinstalled it. I have not taken a highway trip yet but will be soon. Hopefully its GTG and will let you know...if you remember!

Users who are viewing this thread