5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Wheel Post Alignment Off Center

JAMFlyfisher

Reaction score
I changed my shocks and struts to Bilstein 4600s. I had the alignment done and now the steering wheel is off center in the clockwise direction. It was centered prior to the alignment. Should I go back and have it centered? Is this a performance issue or just a preference? Where can I get the alignment specs?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Back when I did alignments in the early 80's, the first thing I did was center the steering wheel and lock it in place. That assured the steering wheel would be straight when the wheels are straight. Take it back and have them do it right.

Ratchet

Reaction score
With the newer alignment systems (especially Hunter Hawkeye Elite), locking the steering wheel is a thing of the past. You can position the steering wheel where you want it, and roll on with the adjustments.

A few things could cause this.
-They botched the initial measurements
-Incorrect adjustments were made.
-The steering angle sensor/yaw rate sensor did not get reset after adjustments were performed.

If it were my guess, I'd bet money on the last one. They will need an OE capable scan tool with bidirectional control and security gateway bypass capability in order to reset the necessary sensors.

Got a printout of your alignment results before and after?
For the specs, what is the year/model of your truck? 4x4?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the newer alignment systems (especially Hunter Hawkeye Elite), locking the steering wheel is a thing of the past. You can position the steering wheel where you want it, and roll on with the adjustments.

A few things could cause this.
-They botched the initial measurements
-Incorrect adjustments were made.
-The steering angle sensor/yaw rate sensor did not get reset after adjustments were performed.

If it were my guess, I'd bet money on the last one. They will need an OE capable scan tool with bidirectional control and security gateway bypass capability in order to reset the necessary sensors.

Got a printout of your alignment results before and after?
For the specs, what is the year/model of your truck? 4x4?

You don't lock the steering wheel when you perform alignments? It could be the tech set the wheel, locked it off center and performed the alignment.

Call who did the alignment and have them make it right. Don't be a ****, be polite and see where that gets you.

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
I also saw in the vehicle menu a selection for Alignment Height.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Nope. You don't have to lock it depending what type of machine you have.
If it has air suspension, it must be set to aero/sport mode on most Dodge/Jeep/Ram vehicles.

Completely agree. Just call and be polite. Tell them the steering wheel is off center. Everybody makes mistakes and sometimes the equipment makes mistakes as well.

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
Firestone did an alignment for me a couple of months ago and the steering wheel was off center. I called and brought it back and they redid the alignment and it’s been good.

outdoor7or24

Reaction score
Do you have to use a machine or can you do it the old school manual way?

Users who are viewing this thread