5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel options

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered a Limited but there are 2 things that I'm not a huge fan of. One being the shifter knob (I know, GT package, but no thanks) and the second being the wood or whatever on the top of the steering wheel. Has anyone done anything with that? Any aftermarket options where you don't lose the heated wheel? I know I could get a steering wheel cover but haven't seen anything that I'd like. Maybe some type of anti-slip coating?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could get a regular leather wrapped heated wheel from a lower trim level if you don't like the wood. That's what my Big Horn has. Should be a straight swap.
20210713_113436.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just be aware that the leather on the lower trim levels seems to be a lower quality leather. I don't know if it really is different, but it feels different when I compared them. I have a black leather-covered wheel from a Laramie if you're interested in it. Send me a PM if you are.

The other issue is, depending on options, you might have to swap out the switches on your Limited wheel if the replacement wheel doesn't have adaptive cruise control. It's not difficult to do, just a little finicky.

Crew4X2

Reaction score
I ordered a Limited but there are 2 things that I'm not a huge fan of. One being the shifter knob (I know, GT package, but no thanks) and the second being the wood or whatever on the top of the steering wheel. Has anyone done anything with that? Any aftermarket options where you don't lose the heated wheel? I know I could get a steering wheel cover but haven't seen anything that I'd like. Maybe some type of anti-slip coating?
Re: Shifter knob - check out AJT Design. They have a couple of RAM shifter knobs that are nice (IMHO).

I just put the black one with the silver screws on my 1500 and it looks MUCH better than the stock knob.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Re: Shifter knob - check out AJT Design. They have a couple of RAM shifter knobs that are nice (IMHO).

I just put the black one with the silver screws on my 1500 and it looks MUCH better than the stock knob.
How can you post something like that without posting a pic? :unsure:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I was looking at the AJT one and based on a post I saw here I should order soon and it'll hopefully be here by the time the truck gets here.
How can you post something like that without posting a pic? :unsure:
LOL
1626201289123.png

Crew4X2

Reaction score
I was looking at the AJT one and based on a post I saw here I should order soon and it'll hopefully be here by the time the truck gets here.

LOL
View attachment 99711
FYI - they have the black in stock. The silver is not back in stock yet. I originally ordered the silver, but changed it to the black instead. I'll post a pic in the AM...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for satisfying the pic ***** in me. I hadn't realized how much different the shift knob area looks on the 2wd than the 4wd version. Push button looks great too. Maybe I'll actually install mine one of these days :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread