5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Wheel Gear Limit Buttons

iGL0CKyour6

Reaction score
This is kind of stupid question but I haven’t been able to find any information on it; but does anyone know what the gear limit buttons on the steering wheel does? Is it just to be able to shift up or down when you want? Does it control the timing or point at which it shifts to the next gear?

Again I know this is a dumb question but it’s been something I’ve wondered since I bought my truck. Thanks in advance.
3e752c55bbff5044dc0dffc1fcb00e6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
They are for locking in certain gears so that the transmission does not shift when you don't want it to.

This is primarily used for towing heavy loads and where there are lots of hills that cause the truck to shift gears. This limiter will lock in the gear and make for a better towing experience.

This can also be used for engine breaking if you are going down steep hills over a period of time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This is kind of stupid question but I haven’t been able to find any information on it; but does anyone know what the gear limit buttons on the steering wheel does? Is it just to be able to shift up or down when you want? Does it control the timing or point at which it shifts to the next gear?

Again I know this is a dumb question but it’s been something I’ve wondered since I bought my truck. Thanks in advance.
3e752c55bbff5044dc0dffc1fcb00e6e.jpg

RTFM Dude. It's filled with useful information.

1606237727567.png

iGL0CKyour6

Reaction score
They are for locking in certain gears so that the transmission does not shift when you don't want it to.

This is primarily used for towing heavy loads and where there are lots of hills that cause the truck to shift gears. This limiter will lock in the gear and make for a better towing experience.

This can also be used for engine breaking if you are going down steep hills over a period of time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks man, I appreciate the info.

iGL0CKyour6

Reaction score
RTFM Dude. It's filled with useful information.

View attachment 74769

Really? I did not know that, I would of never known if it wasn’t for you. Thank you for sharing that info with me. I very well could of looked, but thought I’d try to engage on here, and I figured it wouldn’t hurt to have the information on here for other people to read. But thanks for your opinion

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Those buttons are also how to temporarily disable MDS. MDS is disabled once you enter ERS mode.

Rick J

Reaction score
Really? I did not know that, I would of never known if it wasn’t for you. Thank you for sharing that info with me. I very well could of looked, but thought I’d try to engage on here, and I figured it wouldn’t hurt to have the information on here for other people to read. But thanks for your opinion

The one problem with asking questions here instead of reading the manual is that you will get incorrect information. For instance, you were told that they lock the transmission in what ever gear you select. That is incorrect. They limit the highest gear you will shift up to but will still shift down as needed.

rnoggle

Reaction score
They limit the highest gear you will shift up to but will still shift down as needed.

Exactly. For example, if you set the limit switch to 7th. The trans will work normally as advertised, except, it will never go into 8th gear. This is good for towing in a very hilly area where the transmission would be constantly shifting between 7th and 8th. Also good for towing a heavier load up a long continuous hill.

iGL0CKyour6

Reaction score
Yeah thats true. That is a good point.

Also, thanks for the corrected info. That makes sense.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are one of my pet peeves with this truck. Locking out gears has VERY limited use. Being able to manually shift gears, like you can with the same powertrains in the Jeep pickup, is FAR more useful. I wish we could manually shift, rather than simply limit the upper gear.

I asked Joe at Z Automotive if he could alter the way they function with the Tazer programmer and he said it's not possible. Sigh....

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are one of my pet peeves with this truck. Locking out gears has VERY limited use. Being able to manually shift gears, like you can with the same powertrains in the Jeep pickup, is FAR more useful. I wish we could manually shift, rather than simply limit the upper gear.

I asked Joe at Z Automotive if he could alter the way they function with the Tazer programmer and he said it's not possible. Sigh....
Doesn't the TRX lock in gear?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't the TRX lock in gear?

It does, using paddle shifters. I cannot remember if it has a safety built in where it will force a shift if you hit certain conditions (e.g. over revving). The new G/T option package for 2022 Laramies and Rebels will also have them.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does, using paddle shifters. I cannot remember if it has a safety built in where it will force a shift if you hit certain conditions (e.g. over revving). The new G/T option package for 2022 Laramies and Rebels will also have them.
Just thought I saw somewhere that it had lock in gear paddle shifter, and i assume that it is over-rev protected even while locked

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait, so when I pick up my truck and do the drive back I literally have no reason to have to take back roads because I just swap the highest gear out between 8th 7th and 6th on a regular basis? This completely changes my return drive plans!

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Those buttons are also how to temporarily disable MDS. MDS is disabled once you enter ERS mode.
Why is it lately when I get into truck and put into Drive, I see the gear # go from 1 to 8, effectively turning off MDS. The only way I can get out of that and allow MDS to function is to press the "+" button one more time to remove the "8" from the display. Is there a way to get it into Drive so that it always allows for MDS without touching the gear button? It worked fine for awhile whereby when it was started and put into drive all was well, MDS worked and if I wanted out off MDS, I would press the "-" once, but now it's doing the total opposite.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why is it lately when I get into truck and put into Drive, I see the gear # go from 1 to 8, effectively turning off MDS. The only way I can get out of that and allow MDS to function is to press the "+" button one more time to remove the "8" from the display. Is there a way to get it into Drive so that it always allows for MDS without touching the gear button? It worked fine for awhile whereby when it was started and put into drive all was well, MDS worked and if I wanted out off MDS, I would press the "-" once, but now it's doing the total opposite.
That's not normal behavior, and as far as I know, isn't something we can set. You might want to take your truck in and have it looked at.

I'd be happy if my truck would be in ERS mode and 8 when I shift to D. I've gotten used to pushing the - button, then pushing the + button until it's displaying 8. But it would be nice to not have to do that every time I shift into D.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Def not normal but I also would love to have this problem 😂.

Users who are viewing this thread