5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel center cover coming off?

WRS087

Reaction score
I just got in my truck after work and realized it looks like the center steering wheel cover is coming off. I don’t remember it being like this before I tried to push it back in place and the horn goes off but it didn’t seem to pop back in to place. I’m worried about messing with the air bag. Anyone had this happen? 2020 big horn.

3c2f226e0c82a993678b37f782cf60ee.jpg

a5ba560f937bf4bcf88edf1cb4144e4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRS087

Reaction score
Still no respond but I made a appointment with dodge for Friday. Truck should be hopefully covered under warranty

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That cover is the actual airbag. It looks like it's not fully seated. There are spring clips that secure it to the wheel. If it won't seat from you pushing on it, you either aren't pushing hard enough, or there is a wire or something else caught in there. I had that happen when I removed mine a few months ago. One of the airbag wires got caught, which kept the clip from locking in place. It's an easy fix as long as nothing is pinched or otherwise damaged.

WRS087

Reaction score
How do I remove it completely if I wanted to reinstall it?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There are slots on the back side of the steering wheel, where you release the spring clips by inserting something you can use to push on the clips (I used an allen wrench). But you want to disconnect the battery and let the voltage completely discharge before doing anything with the airbag. You wouldn't want it going off while you're messing with it.

I came across a video when I did it earlier this year. I'll see if I can find that video, or another one, when I have time later this evening.

Last edited:

WRS087

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I actually saw a video the remove the airbag for a charger and it was the same. The yellow harness is zip tied right next to the right clip. Like 2 mm away and I think it wasn’t letting it seat full. I moved that one zip tie and was able to pop it in place. Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread