5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Wheel Area Rattle

ProKubinator

Reaction score
Anyone have an issue that going over a rough road there’s a plastic rattle sound behind the steering wheel? Almost feels like there’s play in the steering column but I went under the dash and it feels fine. Nothing obvious is loose. Probably will bring to dealer. Have 1,000 miles left on warranty. It only happens under the right conditions so I’m sure the dealer “won’t be able to replicate” the issue. Also sometimes I have a noise / feeling In brake pedal that is almost like a spring or something releasing pressure. Happens maybe every 30 min when driving and it’s subtle. Could be related but it’s not sure.

mfrc51

Reaction score
im having the same type of issue more like a groaning.. squeak,whenever i turn the wheel more of an annoyance than any thing else

Natro33

Reaction score
Anyone have an issue that going over a rough road there’s a plastic rattle sound behind the steering wheel? Almost feels like there’s play in the steering column but I went under the dash and it feels fine. Nothing obvious is loose. Probably will bring to dealer. Have 1,000 miles left on warranty. It only happens under the right conditions so I’m sure the dealer “won’t be able to replicate” the issue. Also sometimes I have a noise / feeling In brake pedal that is almost like a spring or something releasing pressure. Happens maybe every 30 min when driving and it’s subtle. Could be related but it’s not sure.
Did you find out what it was?

Alex2014

Reaction score
Did you find out what it was?
I have the same problem. 2 years with this situation and do no have a respond. The technician say no duplicate. apparently this noise don't cause security problems its because that reason dealer don't worry. very disappointed.

Alex2014

Reaction score
I have the same problem. 2 years with this situation and do no have a respond. The technician say no duplicate. apparently this noise don't cause security problems its because that reason dealer don't worry.

jastevenson

Reaction score
If it’s the same issue I had, the rattle is coming from inside the black foam tubing seen here (red arrow). For orientation, in the pic, the metal bar on the right side of the tubing is the shaft from the steering wheel that runs through the firewall.

The black tubing is the outer wrapper for what I think are wires. For some reason, the wires rattle around inside the black tubing on rough roads and are noisy.

To verify that this is your issue, put your head under the steering wheel near the tubing and tap on it to see if you can replicate the sound.

I 95% fixed the rattle by putting 5 zip ties around the tubing to cinch it more tightly around the rattling wires inside.

If you can find a better solution, please post here!!

Attachments

• 9EFB835B-4983-4A0D-B5DF-8374CAEE4DC4.png
    9EFB835B-4983-4A0D-B5DF-8374CAEE4DC4.png
    566.2 KB · Views: 87

Tones1975

Reaction score
If it’s the same issue I had, the rattle is coming from inside the black foam tubing seen here (red arrow). For orientation, in the pic, the metal bar on the right side of the tubing is the shaft from the steering wheel that runs through the firewall.

The black tubing is the outer wrapper for what I think are wires. For some reason, the wires rattle around inside the black tubing on rough roads and are noisy.

To verify that this is your issue, put your head under the steering wheel near the tubing and tap on it to see if you can replicate the sound.

I 95% fixed the rattle by putting 5 zip ties around the tubing to cinch it more tightly around the rattling wires inside.

If you can find a better solution, please post here!!
I've got a similar sound that annoys the crap outta me at times. I'll definitely climb under the dash and check this out. Thanks for posting the pic

Tyrant

Reaction score
Hey guys ,
I've posted on the issue of a rattle coming from what seems to be behind the steering wheel - I just wanted to post an update on here detailing all steps taken to resolve this issue (or atleast almost resolve).

If you've:
1. checked all the TSB's
2. Replaced the horn pad
3. Replaced the steering shaft
4. checked all loose cables / modules
and still have the rattle well atleast in my case it was the steering intermediate shaft - although the dealer is still waiting on parts they tightened up the Intermediate shaft and the rattle was almost gone not only that even the grinding while turning had almost disappeared as well.

Also the TSB for grinding was applied to my truck prior to working on the Intermediate shaft but the grinding still remained and only went away after they worked on the Intermediate shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online