5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Wander/Play

brental1

Reaction score
Just drove 8 hours in my 22 BH and noticed that I was constantly correcting the steering. Remined me of old cars that had a worn out steering box and you had to constantly turn the wheel left and right to take up the play. Not that bad, but definitely noticible. I have not noticed this before this trip. Truck has just 16K miles. Has anyone experienced this? Need to adjust rack/pinion, not enough toe in; or something else?

Last edited:
Just drove 8 hours in my 22 BH and noticed that I was constantly correcting the steering. Remined me of old cars that had a worn out steering box and you had to constantly turn the wheel left and right to take up the play. Not that bad, but definitely noticible. I have not noticed this before this trip. Truck has just 16K miles. Has anyone experienced this? Need to adjust rack/pinion, not enough toe in; or something else?
Many things, out of balance tires or bad alignment come to mind. Take it to a tire shop and have them test the alignment.

I had this problem with my new 16 Rebel and it was so bad it would actually pull to the left so hard it would change lanes if I stepped on the throttle hard then pull back into the right when I let off the throttle. I had it to 3 dealers and they all said there is nothing wrong with it. But they did say the air suspension would change the tow when it was raised or lowered. I asked one dealer check the alignment and he had no idea what I was talking about when I told him to make sure the air ride system was set to alignment mode first. So after 6 months of no results, I traded it back in for a new Sport Night addition without the air ride system, and it drove perfect like the 07 I traded in to start with.
This is my first car or truck I have owned since 1970 that did not have a positive traction, locker or a limited slip rear end so I thought with one wheel pushing the truck this might be the issue. So even with only 2K miles on the truck I ordered a new Mopar LSD unit from Moes Performance and installed it, and it made no difference with the pulling or wandering back and forth in the lane except the one-wheel peel was gone. :)
My wife purchased a new 2020 Jeep Rubicon, and this thing wandered all over the road also. We took it to 3 different dealers and all of them said it was a jeep thing and to live with it.
I had printouts from jeep sites showing that over 100 people having the same issue along with the fix and the dealers said this is BS
what people are posting. When I tried to explain the frame was not welded correct where the steering arm bracket is mounted onto, and the electronic steering boxes have an issue they would not listen to me. So we traded it in for a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is wonderful. And 6 months later we got a letter from Jeep to bring it in to get these two issues repaired, Go Figure.

Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2020 Jeep Wrangler vehicles. The left side lower control arm bracket and weld may not be correctly positioned. The improper weld may allow the lower control arm to separate from the axle which can increase the risk of a crash.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back